Sunday 31 March 2019

Osprey at Carsington Water - I WAS THERE!!! (3 hours later!!)


Some weeks I sit at my laptop late on Sunday with a blank sheet, and think “what the *** am I going to write about in my blog this week?”     Yes this was another of those weeks, and I console myself with the thoughts that the Summer arrivals are not far away, indeed some of them are already here.

Oh, here is a nice issue to consider.

The Daily Telegraph accused The People (newspaper) of overestimating the number of Remain campaigners, in stating that 1 million people were on the Brexit walk. The Telegraph said it should be “hundreds of thousands”.      

Consider the Telegraph quote, “ a hundred thousand?” – quite clear and concise - one; “ a couple of thousand?” – Ok, that’s 2 thousand. But hundreds of thousands?... seems to me like 300K or even 400k.

But without wishing to glorify the protest walk, my point is that on 31st March 1990 there erupted London’s worst riots for 100 years………..  with 100,000 rioters.      Ooops. Looks like the Remainers are in the history books, if nothing else, for being the largest riot with 200,000+ people.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday,…. voting rumbled on and on and on all week, until Saturday………. I turned off the radio and went birding!!!!!   Just one brief respite in the week… Thursday evening Mary and I went for a nice meal to celebrate 55 years of marriage.  Ed: A reward for long service.

Saturday 30th March

I thought I would go hunting early migrants, and as Attenborough is normally a good location, that was my destination.  I knew it was a bit early for some of the warblers, but I though I would give it a shot.  Sand Martins, Blackcap and Chiffchaff were mentioned on the sightings board, although in small numbers.

Picked up Chiffchaff, not surprising, Cetti heard but not seen, but the only other nice sighting was the Kestrel sitting in the doorway of the Owl box behind the Tower hide, where he would appear to have usurped the residence of an owl over the last 2/3 years.

Some Goldeneyes were still lingering, and I did hear Blackcap near the Trent. But as you know, I am a bird watcher, not a listener so despite the enjoyment the heard birds do not feature in my records or year count.

Sunday 31st March

A family lunch was planned for Sunday, giving me time for an am run to Carsington Water.

Cold as always, I strolled across the causeway to extreme of Horseshoe island ticking off Chiffchaff, a low level hi-speed Wren and a pair of Reed Buntings. I was particularly pleased to see that around the small reed bed on the right, there are 4 nesting boxes. Each of these recognise a significant stage in the evolution of the Bird Watching for Beginners walks, the latest 2 additions being for the 1,000th  (different-) person to attend the walk, and the other for 2,500th booking. Some milestones, eh?

As I clutched a warming Capuccino Rangers Donna and Mike took great delight in telling me that at 7am this morning, the first Osprey of 2019 arrived, caught a fish, and after a 7.30am breakfast left Fishtail Creek on a Westerly course.     31st March … not the earliest ever for Carsington (20th March 2017) but always great to have the first Osprey in March.

The volunteer team in the Wildlife had heard the news, as Simon Rodd the Bird Club expert who first spotted the Osprey, had spread the word. They took equal delight in pointing out a loan Avocet patrolling up and down along Horseshoe Island, a joy for a lot of visitors to see through the available binoculars and telescopes.

Well, that’s about it for this week. Chris and I are off to Frampton Marsh on Tuesday, so weather and visibility permitting maybe my YTD might de-stagnate and start moving!!

Happy Birding

No comments:

Post a Comment