Sunday 7 April 2019

A good Turn for the Microtibialist


OK, we will start off with my QI FYI which one of my followers is forwarding round his Whatsapp chat line. (Well some good is coming from this blog that I started in 2015!!). 

Oh, I like this one.. “who was the first female ruler of England, on 7th April 1141? 

Clue?   She was never crowned.      Apparently, her attempt to be crowned at Westminster failed as a result of bitter opposition from the London crowds.    A bit of déjà vu there!!

No?   Matilda daughter of Henry 1.
To Avian matters, Tuesday April 2nd Christine and I decide to have a day on the East coast, specifically at Frampton Marsh. I drove in a bit of trepidation (and precipitation!) as to what we would find, as it was raining when we left Nottingham, but I clutched at the straw that it should be OK on the coast.

We had a good run, but just before we reached the RSPB reserve, an urgent call from Chris resulted in an emergency stop, reverse gear and a view of this unusual example of Tree Topography.






ATA at 10.15, we found an empty car park, and nothing (so far) on the sightings board for the day. So, it was a hot drink and a look around from the centre windows.

The rain and low clouds were driving  Sand Martins and Swallows low over the water, and we had good views from the visitor centre.

Word was that the Dowitcher was still at Frampton so we settled down and started searching from the main hide.  We did meet a couple of birders who had spotted the bird in the rain but for us this was another case of the one that got away.

We decided to dine in the dry hide, and Chris kindly volunteered to go back to my car and pick up our lunches. She returned, not completely soaked through, but with the take-aways. In view of her sterling work, I felt it was not the time to mention that I was unable to make my pack-a-soup, as I did not have a cup or a spoon.    ?? Pour the powder in the thermos and shake vigorously?  Soup cocktail?

Chris to the rescue. “I have a cup you can use, I can use my Thermos cap. Screw that piece of silver foil from round your sandwich, very tight, and use as a stirrer.”     Brilliant – all problems solved.

We settled down to seeing what we could find amidst the hundreds of Black tailed Godwits and Ruff. 
A couple of Pintails, a single Snipe and 4 Ringed Plovers were the pick of the crop.

After lunch and before we left, we had a walk drive to the second car park, which allegedly overlooked the Dowitcher area. A dedicated birder had been standing on the mound for some time without success, until we arrived when he went into that well-known twitching mode! He was tracking the Dowitcher as it took off and flew away to the other side of the West hide. Chris .. “Shall we follow it? “ Rhetorical question!

Heater on and it was homeward bound, 3 new birds for me and 2 for Chris. And the journey home?   Sunshine all the way!!!

Sunday April 7th,  I decided to join the Carsington Water Birdwatching for Beginners walk for the first time in 2019, no longer as a leader but ably run by Amanda.  She had a good turnout of about 24 people, and with 5 leaders (not including me) for a change she decided to walk clockwise round the reservoir particularly hoping to see some of the summer arrivals.

With plenty of loitering, looking and listening, we only went as far as Shiningford North, and Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, and Blackcap were seen or heard, and every likelihood of a Redstart made this different route well worthwhile today.

A bit of a quiet week this week, but the migrants are coming!!

Finally, you’ll allow me a bit of self-indulgence in showing you the latest addition in my other hobby Microtibialism – leg collecting.


This is a 150 year old Victorian wooden page turner which I bought at an antique fair on Friday. It takes me to 134 legs compared with the 264 Avian legs that I have seen so far in 2019!!

Happy Birding





No comments:

Post a Comment