Sunday 3 March 2019

The early birder catches the early bird.. the earliest ever SAND MARTIN at Carsington... March 3rd 2019!!


Sunday March 3…. Welcome to World Wildlife Day

Wednesday afternoon,  and I’m not ‘appy and I’m getting cross.   

I’ve spent a long time trying to connect a new light to the wall by the front door, aggravated by trying to connect a typically thick power cable, to a footling little wire in the replacement unit. The connection block (what I used to call a chocolate box) broke and I lost a screw. Then when I got the replacement block and fixed it up, my stock of light bulbs is all bayonet.   Guess what, the new unit is screw. Back to Wilkos!!

6 people in the queue… 7 tills I cashier, and there are no fast cash payers...the cashier rings the bell for assistance, but clearly there are only deaf staff on duty.    FINALLY…...I’m in the roof top car park, start the car engine and…………………… what the hell was that?????? Flying right, straight across my eye line, one…. and then another…  2 Ring Necked Parakeets. ….about say 300 yards away

Which means, fortunately for Mary, that my blood pressure was back to normal by the time I get home!!

I had seen Parakeets nesting in Allestree Park last year and there have been further reports already in 2019.     At least this year I will not have to wait until my annual visit to Surrey to the Leatherhead Cemetery to tick them off my year list.

Also, on Tuesday, I booked a few days away in late spring at The Haven Hotel at the entrance to Poole harbour in Dorset. Towards the end of our stay, I’m booked on yet another of my favourite birding transport methods… by boat!!   

The cruise this time is a new venue for me, round Poole Harbour, Brownsea Island and up the estuary to Wareham.  I remember in 1952 (Ed; Why that year? It was the year of the Lynmouth flood disaster), going on an enjoyable and memorable (Obviously!) boat trip from Studland (Shell Bay) all the way to Wareham, but feathered birds had not been invented then, well not be me!!

I hope to get news whilst I’m in Poole on the ambitious Osprey project in the Harbour which started in 2018.

And the cruise booking went wrong!  ! found the web site, found the trip, found the vacancies, booked a place. £10 very good value for 3hrs+.   Wrong!! I’d booked a child ticket. I considered whether I could blag it when we boarded but decided that arguing on the edge of the quay side in the proximity of the harbour would be unwise, so a humbling apologetic e-mail solved the problem, with an extra £6 cheque in the post.

Just going back a tad, on Tuesday we got some excellent service from a local picture framing business in Darley Abbey, who reframed a water colour picture of Irongate and the Cathedral. Martyn told us to come back in 20 minutes and it would be done. 

You will recall how exceptional the weather was on Tuesday, so we decided to stroll to the cafe in Darley Park and sit outside with a couple of cups of Horniman’s Ed: Not Tetleys? …………… and……. watch 2 x Sparrowhawks circling over the A6!!  

So that’s YTD = 108.   Isn’t it amazing how calming and therapeutic it is to have a birding experience when you don’t expect it?

Last week I started a grumble about Hides. As I went there last week, I’ll start with the Holden Tower at Slimbridge, and to a degree some of the other older hides there. Being short of stature, in most cases I find I’ve really got to hike myself up on their high stools. And then when I am there, I cannot fix my scope clamp to the shelf such that I can look down in the viewfinder!!     OK, I know it’s partly me, but I do see others struggling. I went through my personal mistake in the past, of buying a scope with a straight lens, and changed to an angled scope. With angled, you should be able to stand behind the scope, get a rough view of what you want to home in on, and then just drop your head to the scope eyepiece.

What I have to do in the Holden Tower, is loosen the scope barrel, and twist the body so that I then look sideways into the scope.   (Hope you understand this… it’s clear to me!!). This is all because the window is so high above the hide floor, and in the case of the Holden, with an added floor layer to step up.

Getting down, I have more than once lost my step because in what is a dark place, I misjudged the distance to step down.

I notice a couple of the hides are now closed (in the Zeiss area), so perhaps it is time for a bit of modernisation in the bird watching area. We are the paying customers and as I commented last week, Slimbridge (WWT) is a tad on the high side.

Food for thought, I hope.

Called in at Carsington this morning and found that Amanda in anticipation that the weather was predicted to be rough, had moved the BwB walk to the Sheepwash area. Quite productive with 42 species thanks no doubt due to 4/5 leaders.

I was pleased to hear that the DWT have been in this week and given two of the Osprey nests a make-over, both in the same day. The most natural one, the old oak at Fishtail Creek, and the most popular one at Lane End. Keep watching!!

And talking of keeping watch, Simon Roddis was cock-a-hoop having seen a Sand Martin this morning flying through. 3rd March!!!, 8 days better than the previous record for Carsington.
Oh, by the way, when I screwed the replacement bulb in………… the bl***Y light didn’t work!

Happy Birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment