Sunday 2 December 2018

BwB Carsington .....under New Management 1st January 2019!!!


I notice that Slim Bridge added a comment on one of my posts, suggesting that in the absence of bird news, I should work on a Travelogue. If that’s what my readers want…..try this Poser of the week.
 


Where and what is it?

A clue?     It’s quite quiet round here….. at the moment!

To more serious matters, Sunday 2nd December 2018 was my final guided walk for the Carsington Birdwatching for Beginners course and it was indeed a day with a bit of a lump in my throat. Today was unfortunately a dull day weather wise, with poor visibility and one short sharp shower (say those 3 words quickly 5 times!!) whilst we were on Stones Island, making bird watching difficult.

There was a good turn out for December, with 23 people on the walk, including a young couple doing Birding for their Duke of Edinburgh Award.   

Amanda, Gary and Keith were coincidentally all away for this walk, so I had the pleasure of Volunteer Lorna (complete with scope!!) to help me.

Simon Roddis greeted me at 9.45 with the comment “The Great Northern Diver is back, just in time for your final walk” which was nice, but unfortunately despite 3 telescopes searching hard he could not be found during the 2-hour walk. Volunteer Mac, watching from the relatively comfortable wildlife centre, was pretty sure he had seen it flying North up the reservoir, so it could well have been at the more protected Hopton End.

Coots in the sailing club bay were in surprising short supply but they were replaced by a large number of Teal.

The adverse weather accelerated our walking, and we were at the Wildlife Centre by 11.45, almost an unprecedented speed record!   HOWEVER, the last 15 minutes spent there, added some nice goodies, including Ruff, Redshank, Gadwall, Tree Sparrow, Snipe, the Kestrel on the TV camera post, and Coal Tit, finishing the morning on 33, which regulars will know entitles me to the Roast lunch… a bit prophetic, it was Turkey!!!

Bird of the day (BOD) received a range of nominations, from Bullfinch (a pair on Stones Island), a single Wigeon in Sailing Club Bay, to the one nominated by young Peter Cavell (he of the sponsored hair cut I told you about last month) and me… a Weasel!  4 of us were heading the group towards the visitor centre, and where the path forks, a weasel ran left to right across the left path, and as we stood there talking about it, it across the right-hand fork. Brilliant.

When we reached the Wildlife Centre I had the very nice surprise of gifts from appreciative regulars on the BwB walks. A very welcome bottle of Glenfiddich, a box of shortbread (my favourite) and a Waterstones book voucher. (I had seen 2 interesting books in Waterstones in Trafalgar Square only this week – most apposite.) … and a card signed by many regulars. Thank you all very much.

So (!!) to all those people who have enjoyed some of the 13 years that I have been doing the walk, thank you for coming on the walks, thank you for your donations to the Osprey nest maintenance fund, thank you for my retirement gifts and I hope I have helped you to get more enjoyment and bird knowledge from your walks.

To my fellow Volunteers thank you for supporting me and thank you for replacing me on a few unplanned occasions. I know that birders will be well looked after by Amanda with the continuing support of Keith and Gary.

Sunday 13th January 2019 is in my diary for my annual 3-hour New Year walk at Attenborough – if you wish to join me, just turn up.

Finally,   did you notice Teal above?   Not bird news - that was the 100,000th word I have written in my blog since 24th December 2015!   (Statistics, right to the end!!)

And the Poser of the week?   Big Ben.. shrouded in scaffolding for the major overhaul, and with a silenced bell for a while.

And finally a few memorable photos.











 Happy Birding   

1 comment:

  1. For a brief moment I thought your Poser of the Week was Yew House! Then I realised it was of course, Big Ben. Paranoid? Who me?
    Some good birds seen from the Wildlife Centre. One day perhaps....
    Pleased to hear about your surprise gifts, very well deserved David.

    ReplyDelete