Sunday 9 December 2018

And now for something completely different.... something else!!


As I write my post, post penultimate 2018 blog entry, it is an emotional time, knowing that in 23 days I will no longer be a Volunteer Ranger. So please forgive me for finding something that I hope will make you chuckle as much as I will. The lack of activity on the bird front does drive me in another direction, but rest assured the posting of Jan 5 will be bursting with news!! (There is a bit of Avian data at the end!)


Having referred previously in my blog to my nomadic long-time friend Roy (or Royston John when his Mum was cross with him!!), he found the old grey cells started twitching when I wrote recently about the memorable date when John Kennedy was shot.  As I’ve said that was one of those life time events about which people say, “I know where I was at the time”.

Roy recalled the 1960’s when he and I used to bowl in a Tenpin Bowling league on the South coast at Hove. Roy lived in Claygate in Surrey, in a house called Little Squirrels, and so our tenpin bowling team was also called “Little Squirrels”. 

Every Friday night the ritual was for him to collect me at c6.30pm at Surbiton station in his Ford Anglia, WHW288, pick up our third team member Jim in Guildford, drive via Horsham where we stopped for take-away F & C and then head for the sea, in time for bowling at 8.30pm.

But on that 22nd November in 1963 things did not proceed as expected, and we both still remember what a strange evening that was.   When we turned on the radio at 8.00pm for our regular injection of The Navy Lark, there was no Jon Pertwee, Leslie Phillips or Ronnie Barker, in fact it was all news. It soon became clear that all the news was about the assassination of President Kennedy.

Naturally my thoughts turned to how Mary would have been coping at the Overseas department of the BBC, and, as I told you a couple of weeks ago, the answer was… panicking. Mobile phones did not exist then, and the only option we may have had would be to stop at a phone. But I was never allowed to ring Mary at work, so I had no telephone number anyway.  She did get home OK, albeit somewhat later than usual.

In 1955 when I was 26, tenpin was in its infancy, but my Father worked for the Rank Organisation which was the first company to open UK bowling alleys. His work included the privilege of cheaper bowling, and he introduced me to tenpin at Golders Green bowl. (Incidentally I bowled on one occasion on the lane next to Jimmy Young!)

I therefore qualified to bowl in Roy’s team, by the shear fact that I knew which holes to put my fingers in.   And so regular weekly league bowling began at Brighton.

Those Friday nights were also particularly memorable for our weekly late-night interviews by the boys in blue (BIB) in Guildford, usually at c1.00am. As part of their training, new police recruits were sent out in the small hours to wheedle out any ne’er-do-wells in Guildford who seemed to have questionable intentions, and 3 men in their twenties, in a black Ford Anglia must have appeared to be rIch pickings.

As we wound our way through the back streets of Guildford towards Jim’s house, he in the back seat would soon be pointing out a blue light. First reaction would be, of course, pull over and let it pass, but unable to shake off the law by that strategy, we pulled over and waited to be invited for a chat.

Interviews usually moved from officious to formal to friendly to amusing, and we always left with a happy wave.  Roy came close to a problem when in response to the question what do you have in your boot, he replies “Balls”, followed VERY QUICKLY by “Bowling Balls”, and even more promptly opened the boot to prove the point.

Whilst our friendship (with the law) flourished as long as we were encountering the same BIB Roy in particular did chance his arm at times. He asked on one occasion if we could get a season ticket – wrong question.

Some final birdy newsy bits:-

Carsington Bird Club and Severn Trent have erected a significant number of additional nest boxes, which have been put up at various locations around the Reservoir. Willow Tit is one of the target birds, as well as more Tree Sparrows.

Even before the rain, but even more so now, water is being actively pumped up from the Derwent, which should help reverse the 35% deficiency.  It will take a time though.

Oh and the G N Diver is still around after 7 days, so he looks like staying

The Carsington volunteers have organised the overhaul of the Lane End Osprey nest, carried out by the nest team from Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, and the volunteers make a donation to the trust in appreciation of the work they do. …and that donation is facilitated by the generous donations I have collected from birders who have been on the Carsington Birdwatching for Beginners walks. Thank you.   Some work will also be undertaken on the other nests, in some cases possibly moving the nest posts.

Good news this week. For the first time for about 2 months (4 Dec 2.15pm), I have seen the Derby Peregrines back on the Jury Inn hotel sign, two is the best count.


Forthcoming walks…. My absolutely last organised one!!!

              Sunday 16th December 10.30am.   Markeaton park BwB.


For now………………. Happy Birding.

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading your 'something completely different' blog, particularly the adventures of the 'Little Squirrels' risking their nuts with the long arm of the law.
    On the day John Kennedy was shot I seem to remember going into the front room (does anyone say that any more?) to watch 'Tonight' with Cliff Michelmore….

    ReplyDelete