Sunday 16 December 2018

A VERY unique December !!??!!


And now the post penultimate entry!!! And some bird news for a change!

But first, I expect like me you get unsolicited e-mails which make you reach for the delete button, but I got one this week, from someone I know so it was kosher, with an amazing statistic.

This month, now, December, 2018 has a structure that will not happen again for 723 years. Yes, YEARS.     December has 5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays and 5 Mondays.  Anyone alive today, will never encounter that again in their life, and it will be about 30-34 generations before it happens again.
How about that for a conversation stopper over Xmas!!

Tuesday December 11th   a nice clear day for Chris and me to visit Rutland Water. Mind you, I got off to a bad start by driving down the M1 from junction 25 to 24, and not seeing the new exit arrangement at J24, I missed the turn off. Shows how long it must have been since I went that way, so I was left with no option but to continue on down the M1. The Satnav took me round the north of Leicester and at least I missed Melton Mowbray en route to Oakham. Needless to say, Chris was already there, but I was only 20 minutes late.

The view of the water from the Egleton centre straight away found the great White Egret and in fact the Great and a Little were viewable through my scope at the same time – a useful comparison of size, and particularly the large yellow beak of the Great.  The lovely Pintails were in abundance, and a pair of Redhead (female) Smew were spotted, but no White Nun.

The feeding station produced one of those eternal bird id problems. Being in and out so quickly, was it a Willow or a Marsh Tit????  I suppose because we always have Willow at Carsington, that was my first reaction, until the Volunteer in the centre said, “We only get Marsh Tits”.  Oh, for the opportunity to see both, side by side!!

Our packed lunch was digested in the Mallard hide (not very far from the visitor centre… we were hungry), but our vigilance was rewarded by what was, apart from Lapwings, the only wader we saw, a Green Sandpiper. But a meandering Marsh Harrier was what flushed the Lapwings, and not the Fox that we saw creeping along the edge of the water.

It’s too long a story to explain how I got to this point, but I purchased a very nice framed oil painting of an Osprey landing in a tree, which was for sale at Rutland visitor centre. I took it home and then to Carsington where it was presented to me at the Volunteers Christmas lunch, as a memento of my 21 
years as a Volunteer.


It was a wonderful gift, which will go well in our bird themed dining room at home. I will need to put it in a smaller frame, but it will look great on the wall, and a lovely memory of my days at Carsington, and the Osprey project that I masterminded from 2011


On the subject of Willow Tits, a National survey is being undertaken in 2019/20 to locate all the diminishing but remaining population. I have mentioned that Carsington is making it’s contribution by erecting more boxes to try and increase the population in a location which IS good for Willows.

An amusing comment on different perspectives.    In England, particularly in the South East, Ring Necked Parakeets are proliferating and recognised as a pest. I find very few people like this bird, which admittedly did not come to England naturally but started from escapees or released birds (depending on which version you believe!!)

Whereas, in Barcelona you can see the most diverse array of introduced Parakeets.

What else?   Water is still being pumped into Carsington, now at 68% full.

Saturday December 15th   Carsington Volunteers enjoyed their annual Xmas lunch, and I had the nice surprise(!!!) of the Osprey painting (as above) before we dined.   I had a number of cards and presents, and also a nice hand-written note from the CEO of Severn Trent, Liv Garfield.

When such a senior person takes time out to send a hand-written note of appreciation, it means more than a voucher, or cash. It is a true recognition, and a pity it does not happen more. John Timpson of the Timpson shoe repair chain is a great believer in hand written notes and knows that a recipient is more likely to pin that to the wall than a £10 note.

It was a good Xmas lunch which 20 of us enjoyed, at the same time struggling with my 30 question quiz papers to find names of sweets. OK, some had not heard of Five Boys, Blackjacks, or Fruit Salad, and even Tictacs, but I thought “Southern underwear” (Snickers) and “It’s all about Brexit” (Topic) were not that difficult.

Sunday December 16th   and now to another farewell, although I have to say that judging by the ferocious weather on Saturday, it was a surprise to wake up and find it was sunny and dry, albeit cold. 

That’s fine…. soon solved with 6 layers.

To-day was my last BwB in Markeaton Park for FOMP, the Friends of Markeaton Park. I had been doing the walk for three years, and it will continue seamlessly into 2019 when it will be led for the first 6 months by Malcolm Hopton, the Treasurer of the DOS.

Only 3 people to-day, but they were rewarded with 25 species, the best count in 2018, so it was nice to leave on a high. 2 Little Egrets on the main lake (I’d only ever seen a singleton there previously), 10 Goosanders plus Tree Creeper and Great Spotted Woodpecker were the pick of the crop.

And thanks to one of my regular birders, who also makes blog comments, for her home-made and embroidered farewell card bearing a Robin. 

I hope you are all well in hand with your Xmas planning. Just 15 days to go and it will be birding 2019… here we go!!!

Happy Birding.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that Mrs Bridge has already corrected you about the number of Saturdays and Sundays in December so...enough said. She has a thing about dates, the calendar ones not the edible variety.
    Nice to be able to see the Great and Little White Egrets together. Rutland was as good as usual.
    Good to see that your 21 years as a Volunteer has been properly recognised. Well done!

    ReplyDelete