Sunday 28 January 2018

Witches Oak - Where Witches were hung....Allegedly!

I don’t know if any of you get to read the comments that get added to my blog by some dedicated followers (7 followers at the last count!), but each time a comment is posted I get a message to tell me. Getting a comment last Sunday within 5 minutes of posting my report for the previous week was a fast response, until I read the comment, and realised why.

Unfortunately, it was one of those reports that all birders don’t like, ones that say, “if only you had been there”, or “just 5 minutes ago”, and this comment was a Markeaton BWB participant Casey telling me what I had missed, by having to cancel the Markeaton walk due to heavy snow.

Casey had watched my car tail light vanishing/skating into the distance at 10.30, and with her Uncle decided that as they were at the park, they would have a walk anyway. And what did they find?????  For a start a nice Jay, which is still on my 2018 unseen list, and then to crown it all, near the craft village shops, a Firecrest. What a superb find, and brilliant spotting. A photo would have been excellent, but we never have the camera at the ready at times like this, and Crests are fast movers!

I would have suffered the snow and the cold had I known, albeit the driving back into the heart of Allestree WAS hairy. My one and only Firecrest sighting (well 2 birds actually!) was at Old Moor on 16th November 2007, and interestingly (I think!!) it was the bird that was my 200th species in the only year before 2017 when I have DONE the 200.

Ed; As Your grandson Leo is doing the 92, you’d better explain to him that your 200 is not an age thing.

Tuesday 23rd January   After the sad count of only One for last week, I was back in my stride to-day with 3 for the list, including a Lifer.

Holme Pierrepoint is a large water sports complex SE of Nottingham, with an Olympic length rowing course, canoe slaloms etc, and news of a Spotted Sandpiper was enough to get me over there to see what would be a lifer. When I found the right water area, there were a good number of birders with scopes all pointing at the area where the bird was feeding. As I concentrated I was nudged by a birder saying, “What are you doing here Dave?” I avoided answering sun-bathing, and found I was next to Mike Daykin, a very experienced birder from Allestree, who used to be a Carsington Water volunteer.

We both had very good views of the Sandpiper and could appreciate the confusion with a Common Sandpiper. The Spotted has yellow legs, and in the Summer, does have spots on the chest. That was Lifetime addition number 336.

I added a Grey Wagtail along the rowing course, and with a bit of help, the Long-Tailed Duck by the 250 metre marker.

By the way, in my post of 24 December, I mentioned the clever names that the WWT have given to their Bewick Swans, and that Croupier returned to Slimbridge without Dealer. Good News!! 2nd January and 42 days later Dealer (the Pen) arrived, no doubt to be greeted with “and where have you been for the last 6 weeks?” Well they have been an item for 19 years, so I guess she wanted a bit of a change.

TRIVIA No 4. Following on from the last paragraph, Male and female swans, the name Cob for a male, comes from the old German term “Knopf” meaning knob. And Pen derives from the English word “Penne” describing the way the female holds her wings back, in a penned manner. (i.e. Penned in).

By the time you read this, the BGBW will have finished, and I hope you did your bit to count the birds in your garden for one hour over the weekend, and report details to the RSPB.

Saturday 27th January, I joined the DOS morning walk at Witches Oak near Castle Donnington. This is a private quarry site, so entry is only possible under controlled conditions, and requiring pre-booking.  


Regrettably only 3 of us enjoyed the words of wisdom of Rod Key for the DOS, and Vic Bevan, a volunteer with the DWT. Despite the recent heavy rain and flooding Vic led us on an extensive route (8,358 steps!) that did need wellies, but not waders.

Vic told us that the largest of the only 3 very old oak tress on the 108 Hectare site, was understood to be where Witches were hung in days of yor, which is why the local school in a competition called the site Witches Oak. Now, not a lot of people know that!!


His guidance gave us clear views of a couple of superb male Smew aka as White Nuns.  Many of the birds on the ponds seemed very frisky, but the plus side was having a good view of the wings and undercarriage of the Smew as it flew over.
Goldeneye, on one lake were in good numbers, and there was a great deal of the head back displaying technique going on.

By the way I am waiting to hear whether there are any more Carsington BWB birders who want the day trip in May. Let me know ASAP so I can plan.


Finally, next Sunday (Feb 4) is the usual Carsington BWB walk at 10.00am – 120 minutes of pleasure!! (Carsington had 5 Ruff on Horseshoe Island this morning)

1 comment:

  1. If only you had been here....you would have seen Red Kites wheeling over Lynton. I suppose I will have to be honest, I didn't actually see them myself but they have been reported.
    My only sighting of a Firecrest was years ago at Gibraltar Point, sheltering in some marram grass in the teeth of a bitter easterly wind - much like today in fact.
    Good to see Smew reported and Spotted Sandpiper is on my Wanted List.
    The most numerous bird here recently is the Common Pheasant, often seen 4 or 5 at a time.
    Your editor's comments seem to get ever more sarcastic, perhaps you should take her in hand. Or may be you have done that already...I think I'll stop there...
    Except to say that I am looking forward to your Slimbridge report in your next blog.

    ReplyDelete