Sunday 4 February 2018

PJ's coming home!!

PJ’s coming home!!

Not a Pyjama story – bird news. See below

Monday 29th January, and with a week of all sorts of news and developments, I’m writing this post as the week progresses.

As we approach the end of January, I find my self wondering whether I will make the 100 mark by the month end. Last year I hit a record 124 for January, but that was heavily influenced by the superb coastal weekend in Norfolk so it’s not surprising I’m lagging behind.

Right – a teaser to start!!  Check out this bird and see what you think it is.



                                              
As a clue, my son Michael took the picture in Dubai, last week, and sent it to me saying not WhatsApp but WhatsIt!   Well I tried Amanda, but despite her good efforts she could not identify it. The plot did thicken when you consider that not only do you have no idea of size, but as it is Dubai, why is the background not sand?

Anyway, next I tried Rod Key (the Derbyshire bird recorder) when we met on the DOS walk at Witches Oak, and he came up with a Willi Magpie, but with the caveat that he would check. He later e-mailed suggesting Pied Mynah, an introduced bird in the UAE, and after some googling, and comparing the orange beak I agreed with his findings.

International birding??   Nothing like it

The reference above to PJ ??  this is the news this week that a 3-year old radio tagged Cuckoo named PJ, has already started his long journey back to the UK for the summer. Google “PJ the Cuckoo” and you can see details of his long journey South to Angola, and after quite a short stay, his journey back.

I have delivered the 200 club “medals” to the 4 people acheiving 200 species in 2017 (includng me!). This is what the trophies look like, the same as 2016, with individual names, and the achieved count inscribed in each case.



There were 2 qualifiers in 2016, and 4 in 2017. I’ll keep you informed of 2018 progress via my blog. Chris & Lorna are already on 100+ and Amanda and I are in the high 90’s

Are you participating for 2018?  Why not? It’s just for fun and even if you think 200 is remote, if you take your 2017 score, and beat it in 2018, you have achieved something, and it does show you have improved your knowledge. (Or is it that you got out more???)

Tuesday 30th January, Chris and I had a good trip to WWT Slimbridge, adding 12 to my list, and 8 to hers. She and her husband John were not long back from a 3-day birding trip with Heatherlea birding in Aviemore, so she already had goodies like Golden Eagle, both the Grouses and Crested Tit to name just a few.

Our journey to Slimbridge was somewhat fraught due to roadworks and heavy traffic (M1 closed etc), but the M5 was good, and only when we crossed the canal at the Tudor Arms did we see that the WWT buildings were shrouded in mist… a bad omen for scoping the Dumbles!** Ed: ?? Anyway, the sun did burn off the mist, and by noon we had good visibility.

Bewick Swans, Golden Plovers and Pintails were early ticks, but picking up a Red Breasted Goose was an unexpected superb addition for 2018. My only previous sighting was in December 2006 at Donna Nook in Lincs. Being on the coast (sort-of!) for the first time this year, Oystercatcher, Avocet, Dunlin and Curlew were all new for me for 2018.

We initially saw the red Breasted Goose from the Holden Tower, and after lunch, from the Zeiss hide. A lady  from Monmouth, was ecstatic about seeing what to her was a lifer, even if she did struggle to see through the eye-piece.

Homeward journey was equally traumatic but buoyed with +12 made it all worthwhile!

** For the uninitiated, “Scoping the Dumbles” translates to “looking through a telescope at the Severn river bank area known as The Dumbles!”.

TRIVIA No 5.  I read an interesting report about a wartime carrier pigeon called Mary, who was honoured with a blue plaque, at Exeter. Another pigeon commando, commemorated by a Blue Plaque at Haywards Heath, received the Dickin medal for notable missions in 1942, out of a total of 90 missions.
It was reported that Hitler had a platoon of Falcons who were trained to “take out” message carrying British pigeons. Many pigeons survived, some in a sorry state but many did not.

An amusing newspaper item, from Wednesday. I don’t know if you read about the Robin that was in the House of Commons chamber just before PM’s question time! Unclear whether it was left or right wing!!!!  I don’t think it was the same Robin that was in the Zeiss hide with Chris and I on Tuesday.

 Sunday 4th February.   Having a heavily bandaged arm, which inhibited using binoculars I was unable to lead the Carsington BWB today, but Amanda and Gary did an excellent job, a count of 39 birds including Kingfisher, Ruff and Redpoll. I did add Ringed Plover before they set off so that was some consolation.

And finally….Slim Bridge may have something to say about this photograph. We went to an Antique fair yesterday where I bought 4 additions for my leg collection (my other hobby), and pride of place now goes to this new one on which the Managing Editor spotted the suspender!!!



Diary dates… Sunday 18th Feb.  BWB Markeaton park.  Sunday 25th Feb. Nest box making at Markeaton Park.

Happy Birding,,, and keep pitching for that 200.    Bird watching magazine would like to know if you intend to “go for it”.  So would I.

Oh, and if you are thinking of joining the birding away day in May, do let me know.

David

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a better week than the one before last! (Thank you for the blog mention, by the way :) ) I'm enjoying the trivia section so far, especially the one about sailor's tattoos. I've had a slow week as well with classes on all week, etc. but 40 species has now become 41 with a nice flock of Redwings greeting me when I got off my bus. There's plenty of drama in the back garden too, as I've got three different bird species, in pairs, thinking about using the same nesting box! (So far, the Robin has driven off the Coal Tit and the Tree Sparrow in the competition, only to find that the hole may be too small for it...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the case - now tracking PJ!
    Delighted to see that you had such a good trip to Slimbridge. It is my number one birding venue. And, as a plus point, Ed. stuck for words. Must surely merit a blue plaque....
    Here, bird activity is on the increase with a continued influx of Pheasants,the return of the Great Spotted Woodpecker and male Robins competing for territories as are male Stonechats nearby.
    This activity was somewhat disrupted today by snow! An event so unusual in Lynton that they flocked from miles around to see it - people that is, not birds.
    Your pictured addition to your leg collection appears to have strayed into erotica. Presumably, your Managing Editor's comments were unprintable!

    ReplyDelete