Sunday 7 January 2018

1st January 2018 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> We're off!





As I said previously I did give the future of my blog some very careful thought, and the dearth of news on my blog in the last 2 months of the year did make me wonder. But I just want to continue enjoying writing about birds and enjoying sharing my experiences with whomsoever is interested.
I have written 68,000 words in the first 2 years, and now that I have mastered how to move photos between my camera, i-pad, i-phone and computer, I plan to include more photos in future..I hope!

One of my favourite songs from a musical is “There’s no business like show business”, so (oops!!) the show must go on. In other words, this is post number 100, so here we go, up and running for 2018. And your free subscription has been renewed accordingly!!!

Bird Watching for Beginners – Carsington.  Rounding up 2017, that was the end of the 12th year of the Birdwatching for Beginners walk. We had more bookings than in any previous year, and doubling the numbers from the early years, we now get an average of 20 people on each walk.

In 2017, we added 5 new bird species to our walk life list. The attendees very generously donated a total of £284 in the year towards Volunteer funds, to help maintain Osprey nests and improve facilities for birders. (If you were on the BWB walk to-day and wondered why the Janet Ede hide was shut, it was due to the door handle needing repair. It will be sorted PDQ!).

200 Club. In 2017 there were 2 claimants, Amanda and Chris – both achieving their first ever total of 200+. In 2018, there are 4 claimants. Amanda and Chris (again!) each with better counts than in 2017, and Lorna and myself joining the club.

The full result:-
Amanda                                       A superb 221. Considering her total in the previous year was 201, Amanda has added some cracking birds, and a mega on Ronaldsay on a Heatherlea birding holiday not only helped, but led to Amanda and her husband Noel being in 2 photos in the Heatherlea birding holiday brochure. A Whimbrel was her No 200.

Christine                                     Once Chris had beaten her 201 in 2017, with a 203, she did not want to push the benchmark too high! The locally infamous Bee Eaters helped her reach the 200 barrier.

Lorna                                          First time achievement of a 200 count with a lifetime best of 209, she was helped by number 200 being a Whinchat.

Myself                                        With the only previous 200 being a 206 in 2010, all I wanted was to beat it. No 200 was a Yellow Legged Gull, at Carsington. Not the most notable bird but they all count, and it helped reach my new record of 207.

Sunday 1st January 2018 and it’s up and running, 8.30 am at Markeaton Park – and that despite not getting home until 2.45 am on New Year’s Day…that’s dedication, or something!

Not many people about, and part from a huge number of Redwings, and a nice pair of Bullfinches having a seed breakfast, it was just 25 of the usual suspects.

Next stop was Allestree Park and the golf clubhouse, where Hawfinch had been reported. Tick!! And a confiding Tree Creeper landed on a tree trunk 4ft away.

Next it was the sewage works at High Peak Junction, then the Derwent at Cromford. No Dipper, but a few usual suspects along the way. Too busy in the 2 cafes, so next stop is Carsington, and with a coffee and a hot pastie, I take up residence in the wildlife centre.

16 more on the list, including a brief view of the Great Northern Diver. With sightings along the way, New Years day finished with a respectable 51.

Wednesday 3rd January and it was my first visit of the year to Attenborough. With Chris and John, and Gill and another Chris, we started with a fly-past of a Water Rail at the Kingfisher hide, and logged a very satisfactory morning count of 42, of which 13 added to my 51 put me on 64 to date.



" I'm looking for a Duck Box..... my MP bought one on expenses!"

Sunday 7th January and the BWB at Carsington may have encountered 0.5 degrees on my thermometer, but the consensus, with the chill factor, was more like minus 3.0 degrees. IT WAS BITTER. Holding bins and scopes were real challenges, but we did pick up the Great Northern Diver and nice male Goldeneyes.   But for its persistent hovering over the 25 people on the walk, the Kestrel was BOD

Just to remind you that next Sunday (14th January) I will be at Attenborough gravel pits for a 3 hour walk. Anyone wishing to join me, should be in the visitor centre car park and ready to go at 9.30am.We will finish by 12.30. No booking – just be there.

 Oh and 21st January it will be my 10.30 BWB walk at Markeaton Park.

I'll try and make it a regular item, but this is trivia No 1 for 2018.

Kettering Borough Council is seeking planning approval to hold weddings in Kettering crematorium. If they do get approval, imagine some of the scenarios that could arise! (Add them as a comment below, if you wish)

Happy Birding

3 comments:

  1. Cracking start to the year! Bodes well for the year as a whole.
    Loved the photo and the comment about a Duck Box...
    A good economy move from Kettering Borough Council. From matches to despatches without any of the tiresome stuff in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good start to the year! (I'm one of the regulars from your Markeaton BWB walks) How is your total count for the 200 Bird Year so far? I've just reached 35 bird species, also with the help of a mid-morning Markeaton walk on New Years' day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 200 club progress is always on my blog, but AS YOU ASKED, to date 74, including Old Moor on Tuesday, with a Hawfinch feeding 5ft above my head!
    Well done for the first 10 days. Markeaton is better than many people realise.
    See you on the 21st.

    ReplyDelete