Sunday 31 December 2017

To-morrow? A blank page and let's go birding ....again!

……….. and so to number 99.

I must confess to seriously considering whether after 100 posts, next week should be the end of this 2-year project.

I do enjoy writing my “column” although I don’t get a lot of feed-back. Therefore, I cannot say whether I have a) avid followers; b) occasional readers; c) how many people get a mail shot when I print; d) why my site has more pageviews in 2 years from Russia (1,548), than the 704 from the USA. 
Oh well, I suppose 8,046 in 2 years is not exactly viral, but someone is looking, albeit it may be mainly Russian Robots. (I don’t kid myself of my popularity!)  

My Managing Editor thought that, whilst I appeared a bit on the wane in the last 2 months, I am at my best at the start of the year. When we had clarified what she was implying and to what she was alluding, I decided I would start another year, and continue to satisfy my reader, so here we go for 2018, starting from to-morrow.

Nevertheless, it was a chance today to reflect on 2017, with the highs and lows.

I ticked off 24 species in the year 2017 that I did not see in 2016, so that obviously boosted my like-for -like list.

8 lifers were added to my UK list, starting on 3rd January with the Dusky Thrush that had obligingly stayed over the 2016 year end at Beeley. Within a 14-day period a Bonaparte’s Gull on the Avocet cruise in the Devon River Exe, and a Glaucous Gull at Rutland were 2 gulls added to the list. I don’t do well with Gulls, but when I have skilled birders to point out the differences from other gulls, then I can get some enthusiasm.

A Hooded Merganser at Radipole Lake Dorset, was a bit tongue in cheek, but Mary and I both seeing a Yellow Browed Warbler at dusk at Topsham, Devon was a real buzz. Understanding directions from a Devonian with a broad accent added to the fun.

June/July was a time when many birders made a pilgrimage to see the European Bee-Eaters at East Leeke. I had seen them several times in Majorca, but it was good to add them to my UK list on July 2. I reported earlier how well they had done, and been received, although sadly their breeding attempts failed.

It was a super surprise just after Xmas to receive a gift from Chris and John, of a mug with a Bee-eater picture.











The other 2 lifers? I’ve seen Cattle Egrets many times in Majorca, but to add one (two actually) to my UK list whilst birding solo in Norfolk was very satisfying. But for me the bird of 2017 had to be the Cirl Buntings seen just North of Torquay at the RSPB site at Labrador Bay on the A379.  I found it, I saw it and I ticked it…Magic! (OK, someone did tell me they were there!)

Current news?

You can’t have missed the news about the 2017 influx of Hawfinches, so I am undecided whether tomorrow to go to Allestree Park, Cromford, or Darley Dale, but one will be on my list by this time tomorrow.

I had an anonymous comment on my blog last week, telling me about the Allestree Park Hawfinch sightings, so I expect the park will be busy to-morrow.

Lorna saw Hawfinches over the Xmas period, giving her a belated addition to her 2017 list, ending the year with her first 200, an excellent 209. I came close to adding Jack Snipe this morning, when Sparky Mike, a full-time ranger at Carsington told me he had flushed one on Stones Island in front of the new Janet Ede hide at 8.30am this morning.

The full 200 club results will be in next week’s post.

I have an early start planned for Monday Jan1, and Wednesday 3rd will be at Attenborough.

The next Carsington BWB is Sunday 7th January…….. but it’s full!

On Sunday 14th January I go to Attenborough and invite any fellow birders to join me if they wish. No booking no reserving. Just be in the main visitor centre car park at 9.30 for a 3 hour walk and pray for the Bittern and Water Rail.

Good luck for 2018.


1 comment:

  1. Don't give up on your blog but I should ignore the apparent attention from Mr Putin and Mr Trump!!
    A very nice present from Chris and John and an impressive record for the year.

    ReplyDelete