Sunday 5 November 2017

For a Cirl Bunting ? I'd travel!

Monday 30th October, and Mary and I took off to the Imperial Hotel Exmouth (again!). I’m sure you realise by now that this is one of our favourite locations for a short break, and by 4pm, we were comfortably established in a nice room overlooking the gardens, the promenade, and across the mouth of the Exe estuary to Dawlish Warren…. and enjoying it all with a nice cup of Tetleys.

Tuesday 31st October I know we have pretty thoroughly “done” the Exmouth area by October, so we set off this time with intentions of trying to find a few more Antique Centres, and try and add to my Microtibia collection. In that respect we failed, and the only souvenir was from a charity shop in Honiton, where I purchased what was clearly some Volunteers excellent efforts in making a Blue Tit nesting box from recycled wood. No ply-wood – more like floor or skirting boards. Including a flexible lid, this was £15 well spent.

Tuesday, we were in tourist mode and drove east passed Seaton, to Colyton (via a very naff antique store!), and then decided to have a look at Seaton Marshes, in particular the Colyford Area. Word was that Cattle Egret and Glossy Ibis had been reported close to the tram track, and after a bit of scanning, only with bins, the Glossy Ibis emerged on the edge of the scrape. 

A nice find, considering that previous visits to these marshes has been pleasant albeit not very productive. And as a bonus, a Kingfisher crossed our line of vision…. and that we HAD seen before at Colyford.

Still wanting Purple Sandpiper for my year list, we drove down to Seaton for an excellent coffee, but with very little in the way of rocks on the shoreline, no sign of a P.S.

Wednesday 1st November We drove round to Brixham to see my brother Simon and his wife, and we took them out for a nice lunch at the Breakwater Bistro, which inevitably meant fish all round.

Many years ago, I visited Prawle Point which is on the Devon coast, south of Dartmouth. It was known to be one of the few places to see Cirl Buntings. At that time, I was not really into birding and my only recollection was a very wet and windy day, standing in a cold hide with the rain coming in horizontally. = No Cirl Buntings!

Until now, and apart from seeing them for the first time in Majorca in 2013, they had eluded me. But a recent web search threw up 2 sites in East Devon, one near Brixham and one near Teignmouth. As we were virtually passing the Brixham site at Broadsands, a little diversion found a large car park with 6 telescope toting birders.

One very helpful local told me that their targets were Firecrest and Yellow Browed Warbler, and Cirl Buntings would be “behind the beach huts where there is a feeding point.”    Time was sadly against us, and after we left my Brother a further visit was equally unproductive being inhibited by the poor light.

At least I now know where to go.

Brixham harbour, produced some interesting wildlife. We had a grey seal in the middle of what is predominantly a fishing boat harbour, Shags and Cormorants actively fishing, and a dumb Herring Gull. Well, put it this way – as Herring Gulls go, they do call a lot, but this 2-year old was near my feet, opening and shutting his beak, but no noise.?? Maybe Brixham has found the answer to noisy Gulls.

This is a nice photograph of a Mute Herring Gull!








He would have a job calling for food with apparently no voice-box.

Thursday 2nd November. My very supportive, sympathetic and compassionate wife (it says here) asked me if I wanted to go to Labrador Bay to see if I could find the Cirl Bunting. They are well reported, often in the car park, on the little RSPB reserve on the A379 coast road 1.5 miles south of Teignmouth.

And they were!!! I drove in to the lay-by/car park at about 9.45, went to read the interpretation board and the parking meter, and sitting in the bush….. Cirl  Bunting – a UK Lifer.    A short circuitous walk got me an even closer view, so our Exmouth holiday had added 2 species for 2017, now on 204.

Black Swans were visible at Dawlish, but as they are penned, and probably pinned, they are not on the list, at least not at this location.

As the tide was coming in for a 6pm high, I had a look at the Exe estuary, mainly Brent Geese, but I was able to excite a lady with her dog and a camera………………………………. by pointing out a Kingfisher on a dead tree branch in the water. She maximised the zoom, and said she would improve that when she downloaded the picture at home. “If I can help somebody, as I go along life’s way……etc”.

Sunday 5th November  I thought the BWB walk at Carsington was not going to be very good, until Simon Roddis (a skilled Bird Club member) came and found us to point out 3 Whooper Swans.. and guess what was bird of the day for the 19 participants?

A cracking week.     It’s Norfolk for me next weekend so I hope to surge through my all-time record of 206 – I’ll let you know next Sunday.

Happy Birding.


David

1 comment:

  1. Glossy Ibis - very nice! And yes, Seaton Marshes is on my (ever growing list) of places to visit.
    Very supportive, sympathetic and compassionate....? Let me know what you are slipping into her tea.
    Not Cirl Bunting? I saw that years ago at....Prawle Point! Admittedly I was very lucky. Parked up, down a footpath, over a stile and there it was!
    Whooper swans at Carsington - it just keeps getting better.

    ReplyDelete