Sunday 29 October 2017

Bird Call Luring - who's the smartest?

Tuesday 21st October, and Gill, Christine and I decided to have a short walk round Attenborough. Despite being half-term it was surprisingly quiet, as indeed was the seating area for lunch.

Not sure about the others, but I ticked off 30 species, none of which were new.  An early sighting was near St. Mary’s church at Attenborough, a Green Woodpecker flying passed in its traditional bounding way.

Our route was quite short today, and we finished up at the Tower Hide. I should have realised being a Tuesday, that it would be volunteer day, and 7 volunteers were doing a sterling job in thinning and cutting back the reed bed in front of the Tower Hide, which hopefully will encourage the Bittern to come back for the winter.

The disturbance meant no Waders, but at the far side of the water, with my scope I was able to pick up 3 diving female Goldeneye, my first for the 2017/8 winter.

Almost immediately when we entered the Kingfisher Hide, a Kingfisher flew left into the reeds. Some children in the hide saw the bird, and as it was still just visible through the reeds, perched on a stake, they were really thrilled and excited to see the bird through a scope.   I love to see that level of excitement.

Sunday 29th October, and I dropped in to Carsington Wildlife Centre to empty the bird-food donations box, which is in the form of a bird table. I’d added a mini-poster on the box stating that we could get bird food with now unusable old £ coins… and already counted 4 such coins in the box. Compensation for some strange coins that have been donated in the past!

Pat, Amanda and Mac were on duty, and Mac told me that he had checked his 2017 sightings, and was able correct his total (upwards..) to 185!!  He ticked off a Jack Snipe at Attenborough Kingfisher Hide…. more than I did.

Some nice sightings this morning. Nuthatches are not seen frequently at the bird table, but there appear to be a pair who have taken a liking to the fare on offer, and they were defending the stock from Coal Tits and Willow Tits.  Four smart looking Ruffs (Not Scruffs!!) dropped in whilst I was there.

I wish I had taken my camera. The Volunteers had a good day on Tuesday, and have well cut back Horseshoe Island (not evidently an island with the res. only 75% full) ready for nesting in 2018. And they have cut back reeds to give a good view of the Sand Martin Bank, and clear views of the 3 Kingfisher posts on the water edge.

I got drawn into a discussion/debate recently about bird luring which I thought I would share with you. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t for a moment mean trapping, I’m talking about the proliferating habit of playing bird calls and songs on mobile phones. These apps are so cheap, and are a great aid to help birders improve their knowledge of bird songs and calls, and to confirm identification of what a birder thinks he is listening to. I have done it myself with a Garden Warbler buried deep in a bush. That situation I am wholly with.

But the earlier debate started when one person said that they had played a bird song, and the tempted bird did in fact make an appearance. When they tried again 5 minutes later, the bird did not re-emerge. Let’s call the bird Jo, so as not to be sexist.

My Theory. I suggest that Jo would have heard the first call, and emerged to see which relative was around. But because the recording was repeated, in Jo’s head and not having found a relative the first time, Jo would have heard the same bird, so why bother to come out again. Had the recording been followed by a recording of the same species, but by a different recording company, then Jo may have come out to see who the other bird was.  

Sounds quite logical to me, and is supported by my experience with a bird group in Markeaton Park ¾ years ago with a Goldcrest. The first time, the Goldcrest came out and circled round my head.. but when I played the track again, there was no reaction.

Or maybe Jo thought it was a game of knock down ginger!

You can make up your own mind about my theory. But please respect what we should all accept, and that is that when birds are breeding/nesting there is no justification for doing anything to disturb them, including playing bird calls. If you must, then use headphones. 

This week?   I’m looking for Cirl Bunting, seen in Majorca but not England. Carsington BWB as usual, on Sunday 5th Nov 10.00am.  

Happy Birding

  

1 comment:

  1. Attenborough seldom disappoints and with the work done around the Tower Hide I would think there is a good chance of spotting a Bittern before the end of the year. Kingfisher has always been one of my favourite birds.
    Four smart (?) Ruffs was a good spot at Carsington. I'm surprised that the reservoir was only 75% full but there's time yet....
    I agree entirely about bird lures. Used outside the breeding/nesting season they can be a useful identification aid to birders, but NOT in that season.
    A surprising lack of gastronomic news - have you given up eating - obliges me to post some of my own. Had an excellent tapas evening meal recently with Mrs Bridge and my two lovely Polish friends and today I am taking Mrs Bridge out (again!), this time for a roast Sunday lunch - gently easing the belt a notch...

    ReplyDelete