Sunday 12 November 2017

207. A Grey Phalarope - and I found it!! (to-day anyway)

Friday 10th November 2017. I set off for 3 days birding, including a couple of nights at a B & B in Hunstanton, Norfolk. The Claremont was a comfortable base, with good full English breakfast and DIY toast. (Their words, based on there being a toaster on each breakfast table.) No black pud!!

Now look, I know I used to josh with Mary about my claim to being built like a Racing Snake, a line I cribbed from Terry Wogan. And it did elicit some derisory ripostes from the good lady. But when I lost almost 4 stone during my 2016 Op, my claim had some validity, and I now have no inches of spare fat. Which means when it IS cold………… and Hunstanton for 2 days out of 3 WAS cold…VERY cold, even my 6 layers of clothes plus a scarf did not stop the Northerly wind coming straight across the Wash from Skeggy and causing me untold damage.

I am only labouring this point, because the force XX wind meant that any looking for birds on the sea was a non-event. I did manage to see 6 Scoters at Cley, but only because they were almost on the beach!

First stop was Frampton Marsh. Nothing to add to my year list, but Stonechats on the fence, a Marsh 
Harrier, and a good number of Golden Plovers were nice sightings.

After pausing for my alfresco salad (Please Note – Slim Bridge), I drove straight to Titchwell to see what was about before dusk. Plenty of waders, but the sea was running high, and the light fading fast, so I was the last person to get a cup of coffee at the kiosk at 3.57, before everything closed at 4pm.
  
With no additions to my year list, the evening was partly devoted to computer research on where to go on Saturday and plans were duly made.

Saturday 11th November 2017.  I set off eastwards for Stiffkey where a pair of Cattle Egrets had been reported cohabiting with cattle, and that is exactly where they should be, and that is where they were.

From there, it was on to Cley, and a bit of earwigging in the reception desk area. The hi-tech sightings board (alternating between birds seen today and birds seen this week) showed no reports of any sightings for to-day of my target bird, the Grey Phalarope. 

But I heard there was a good flock of Snow Buntings at the beach car park, so with my £5 permit (+ “sign that for gift aid please”), I drove to the beach car park. As I got out of the car, said flock flew over, heading West so I went to the shore edge to watch the rolling waves (and the Scoters, above).
Shortly after, the Snow Buntings flew back, over my head and landed in some rough scrub. A rapid dash (on pebbles??) got me to the fence edge, and c25 people enjoyed close views of these cute birds.
A milestone. My list for 2017 was now 206, equalling my best year ever… one to go for another record!

Returning to the Visitor Centre in the hope that there had been some news about the Grey Phalarope (sadly not), I decided to walk to the Dauke’s hide overlooking Simmond’s scrape to search for myself. There are 3 hides close together, at the end of a sort of cul de sac, where many years ago I got my first close up views of Bearded Tits!! You can only walk to these hides, and this was probably a contributory factor to my getting an app message on my new slick phone, that I had done 10,000 steps!

The hide was quite full, but no one had seen the Phalarope. I checked the view at each end of the hide and was rewarded with the view of a Water Rail dashing in and out of the reeds, pursued by a second Rail. Too quick even to tell the others in the hide. (When I went in the neighbouring Teal hide a few minutes later, I was asked if I had heard a strange call from the reeds, and I was able to tell them that it was the Water Rail, which is often recognised by the call like a squealing pig)

On my own in Dauke’s, I finally spotted the Grey Phalarope some way off in the scrape. In due course a few more birders came in and despite the marauding Marsh Harrier, the bird stayed on the pool so that we all enjoyed excellent views, and I could now celebrate hitting my highest ever year count of 207, in 31 years of birding (No 1 – Robin. January 1986!!!). 

I could also be the first person to report the Phalarope that day. (+2 Water Rail!)

Sunday 12th November 2017. Bit of an anti-climax after Saturday, but I had a look at Holme Dunes and Thornham Quay just in case, and was told about a Red Throated Diver and Purple Sandpiper, but they were either too far to walk, or too far East, and I was planning to get back to the Hunstanton Cliffs to see if Purple Sandpiper was there, especially as it was hi-tide at 12.40.
Nothing to report, apart from a poor Turnstone with a damaged leg.

And on the way home, down a diversionary lane I use to avoid Grantham, 18 red Legged Partridges in the middle of the road!

So, an enjoyable trip, and a Bucket list objective achieved.   And I get a 200-club award for myself this year!!

In passing, don’t forget the Markeaton Bird Walk next Sunday (19th)… 10.30 at the walled garden


Happy birding.

1 comment:

  1. The Claremont sounds very civilized - no BP!
    I think the 'alfresco salad' will need independent testimony to verify.
    Nice spot, Snow Buntings. The only time I have seen them was at Gib. Point years ago.
    But Grey Phalarope and your best ever year count - wow! I hope you celebrated appropriately when you got home. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete