Saturday 15 July 2017

Onwards and Upwards............. well next week anyway!

Sunday 9th July, Monday 10th July, Birding activity at a very low ebb. My daughter tells me she went near the Bee-eater site at the week-end and send me a dusk photographed owl on a telephone cable in the same locale.  

A Greenfinch sits on my fence shouting at me as I was near his (??) bird bath, and came down when I moved. I dutifully cleaned and filled the bird bath to keep him happy.

Blimey, it’s bad enough getting buzzed by Redshanks and Avocets at Frampton, but when my local birds come down and have a go at me in MY OWN back garden, you can understand why I am developing a complex.

Tuesday 11th. Thought long and hard about what might be about (Carsington Bird Club had reported Spotted Flycatcher at Sheepwash car park), and Amanda texted to say a pair had been reported at Padley Gorge.  Mary made me some coffee, and I sort of morosely set off… somewhere.   

It rained, I ran over a dead badger, and Amanda texting to say it was too wet to go out, brought matters to a head, and I decided to turn around and go home and do some more finance planning for a relative.  At least there was some cheer due to our girl getting through to the last rounds at Wimbledon… I’m old enough to remember when Ginnie did it!

With the acute depression ensuing from my highly failed birding week (so far), and coupled with just one positive response to my question in last week’s blog, about the international travel experiences of Jet-setting Ronald, I’ve decided to add a heavily edited account of a further one of his Brexit journeys. Viz: -   


Ronald’s latest…

My journey to the UK was yet again hindered at Border control. Once again we're talking about Gatport Airwick; described by some as the gateway to a wonderful foreign land where the streets are paved with gold. Quite obviously had never heard of Gordon Brown.

My passport is now so old and has been constantly sat on for the past decade that the microchip has broken. Which means it is totally useless. Or is this a devious way to keep me out? 

So I was interviewed by a very nice lady from the Crawley Industrial Park estate who spoke extremely good English.  She asked me a variety of questions which I presume must come out of the UK citizens registration exam.

'Do you have allegiance to the Queen?'      
I said I'd never bought any of their records but am sure they are quite good. Nil point.

'Can you tell me what stands on top of the column in Trafalgar Square.
'A pigeon.'  Nil point

'What famous words did Nelson utter to Captain Hardy departing from Cadiz.
'Where the bleedin' hell are we Hardy?' Nil point.

Why are you travelling to the UK today?'
'To open a corner sweet shop.' Un point

By now the queue behind was getting restless. I pleaded insanity and said I would complain to my local LBGT society.  I was let in immediately, and she gave me her address.

I caught the train from the station and sat rigid in my seat opposite a man who considered his duty to add to the Co2 vapours that were now creating a mist on the windows, thereby blocking my view of the shanty towns sprawling outwards from Central London to Surbiton. Here I got off on my way to a recommended B&B in **Balaclava road. 

So, I must end this chapter as not only does nature call (again) but the bus goes in an hour. There's more. Will write soon. 

Ed: ** This is a subliminal coded message for Octogenarians only.

Wednesday 12th. Mary and I had a day in London, including a pleasant lunch on a floating restaurant on the river Thames - a very relaxed and enjoyable experience.   

Bird wise for the day?  3 Red Kites seen from the train, near Leighton Buzzard; 1 Cormorant near the Isle of Dogs, and that’s it.

Talking of Gin, and in my efforts to include more nature items in my blog, an interesting use for Himalayan Balsam. Readers will know this is a very invasive plant, which smothers riverbanks and damages ecosystems.

Puddingstones Distillery, near Tring in Hertfordshire, has come up with a new gin incorporating the Balsam flowers, which adds a summer pink colour and adds a floral taste to the gin. Apart from what sounds a pleasurable taste, this is a very good way to help habitats and native flora, plus the bonus of recycling unwanted plants.   Herts WT will be selling the first order at their festival of wildlife on 29 and 30 July. 

Mary says she will happily do a blind test.


Keeeeeep Dwinking!! 

2 comments:

  1. Some weeks are like that, but don't knock the Greenfinch, they are not doing well at the moment because of a parasitic infestation and need all the friends they can get!
    I've just finished wiping my eyes after reading 'Ronald's' latest. Has he got his own blog?
    Your blog would not be the same without tales of a culinary nature. But gin? Do you have to be blind to taste it Mary or does that come with over-indulgence? Not that I'm casting aspersions on the character of your Editor......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the "Summer Festival of Britain" cocktail in the Skylon Bar in the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank. 2 of those, and you WILL be blind... I KNOW!

    ReplyDelete