Saturday 22 July 2017

Not properly dressed at Attenborough Gravel Pits.

I thought you might be interested to see the original Carsington shirt logo, which certainly the volunteers had in 1997.  It features the Stones on Stones Island, behind the visitor centre.


Then, as the result of the Osprey Project and the Sand Martin Project, the volunteers created their own version by adding an Osprey Post and a Sand Martin bank!
Then for the 25th Anniversary in May, Severn Trent produced a special 25 years version, although it looks like someone redesigned the Stones element.



 Sunday 16th July  My Beginners walk at Markeaton Park was enjoyed by 7 people, a record number, but sadly they only enjoyed seeing 17 species.  The foliage was very thick, and very little song could be heard. 

Pamela came with a good quantity of mixed seed for the bird table in the woods, which had Coal Tits feeding within seconds. Otherwise, the hi-light was a juvenile Goosander which was mixing it with the multi-race species in the duck pond.  

The park had several public events on Sunday, and we might have to think about starting the walks at 8.30 to beat the numbers and noise.

Monday 17th  There had been a report of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Allestree Park, so I did a lap of the lakes, but to no avail.  5/6 years ago, they were frequently reported from the park, but it seems they have found nest holes elsewhere. 

It was a pleasant walk, and as I arrived a Kingfisher flew over the upper lake wall and away down the large lake. Otherwise, apart from 4 female Mandarins, nothing much.

Tuesday 18th  Christine and I went to Padley Gorge to see if she could find Wood Warbler, Whinchat or Ring Ouzel, and I wanted Spotted Flycatcher.   We reached the top of the gorge whilst it was still quiet, and walked down the gorge, until we could go up towards the quarry and came out above the wooded area. Despite persistent stopping and listening, we only enjoyed Nuthatches, Tree Creepers, and a good view tracking a Green Woodpecker as it zig-zagged away above the gorse… oh and a sun-bathing Stonechat!

After a picnic and a quick look at Burbage for the Ouzel, again to no avail, we went back to Carsington to see if we could pick up the Flycatcher and a Yellow Legged Gull.   

Sheepwash was unproductive, so we moved on to Millfield, and were rewarded with a very busy Spotted Flycatcher hunting for food.

Interesting article that Chris had kept for me about the ideal places to find Spotted Flycatchers, cut from Bird Watching Magazine…

              "Spotted Flycatchers are birds of woodland glades among tall trees, with room to swoop and catch insects"  which is exactly what they were doing in Penn Carr.

So, with Chris sadly not moving on today, but I’m now on 191, it’s off home for a nice cup of Rosie in the garden with Mary, and a chance to plan our trips for the Summer.


Wednesday 19th  Now I really am starting to worry… I’d gone to Attenborough Gravel Pits, with a Wood Sandpiper in mind, and what do I find on arrival?    I have left my binoculars at home.  Now that is what I call a serious situation, and whilst I did have my scope, and in the boot a small pair of 6 x 12 bins, I felt naked (didn’t look it fortunately). The number of times I’ve said to someone, “No bins? You’re not dressed!”  Hoisted by my own petard.

Ed: If you are going to continue doing these pre-Bird walk talks, you had better explain that this expression, from Shakespeare’s Hamlet, means “to fall into one’s own trap”.  Déjà vu would have been better, and by the way, a Petard is a small bomb. 


Nothing to add to my list, at Attenborough, but Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover and Dunlin were good spots.  And water lower than I have seen for a long time. As the quarrying has ceased and no tugs/barges going through the pits, the lack of movement seems to be reflected in the amount of green algae appearing.

LATE NEWS.     I was looking at Chris’s 2017 list to see which birds she had seen which I hadn’t, and vice versa, and was able to tell her that she had in fact reached the brilliant 2017 target of 200 species, and what pleased her was that number 200 was the wonderful Nottinghamshire Bee-eaters. 

Chris did 201 last year, but 200 before the end of July is excellent. Amanda is on 206, and I’m tail-end Charlie on 191.  

I’ll keep you posted.


1 comment:

  1. I have also seen a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker near Allestree Lake occasionally so it may worth the occasional visit again.
    Spotted Flycatcher was a good spot (sorry). As you said, forgetting your bins was a little worrying....However, I'm confident that you will achieve the magic 200 this year particularly with the occasional barbed comment from your Editor.
    A slight downside this time was the lack of culinary exploits.

    ReplyDelete