Saturday 8 July 2017

DO Turtle Doves really exist?

Monday 3rd July and I’m off on one of those nautical trips that readers know I really enjoy.

This one is a 4-hour cruise organised by the Lincs RSPB, leaving from Boston at 12.15pm, so it gives me nice time to drive over from Derby, and without rush hour problems.   

With 50 people on board (plus crew, which includes the Bacon Buttie maker!!), the Boston Belle heads North East down the Witham to The Wash, then turns to SSW and up the river Welland, almost to the A17.  It was calm journey and from the Wash we could see clearly the white cliffs of Hunstanton.

I had my doubts as to whether I would get any additions to my year list on the trip, so to add a pair of very visible Corn Buntings was very satisfactory. 

The group were very friendly and chatty, and apart from the admitted poor quality of the jokes from Chris Andrews the spotter, I was pleased my c50 species. The boat sightings total was about 65, but heard species were included, and I did miss a couple. On the return journey, as we turned back into the Witham, a single Arctic Tern was seen and then both Peregrines were seen on the Boston Stump.

2 unexpected list additions ensures I will be back on this excellent trip again in 2018.

As it was c5pm by the time I was back on dry land, Frampton was out so I drove straight to the Ivydene guest house in Skegness where I had booked for the night. Having parted with £5 to book a hearty breakfast, I decided to pop down to Gibraltar Point to see what was around and to eat my salad tea, in a hide overlooking Tennyson sands. Worthwhile because I added Green Sandpiper, taking me on to 190 year to date. 

Phew..only 10 to go for the 200, or 5% which sounds even better!

I’ve stayed at the Ivydene before, and £45 for a nice comfy double bed and a good breakfast ( fruit juice, grapefruit and fresh fruit salad, large breakfast, rack of toast, ticks all the boxes for me.)
Odd things?  Breakfast starts at 8.20am?? Cooked breakfast served from 8.20 > 8.45. One couple were not down by 8.50… would it be a cold fry-up?  And why did the electricity go off at 9.05? Power cut? Timer? Time to go said Zebedee!

Tuesday 4th July , I decide I’d better check if anything had been reported at Gib Point (everything was closed when I went down yesterday), but sorry to say information on recent sightings was a big fat Zero. There was a list of what had been ringed, but not what birders would like to know – what’s around. I did also think that there had been a great deal of plant and reed growth on the site, which limited visibility from 2 of the hides.  However, a pair of Spoonbills was a definite + point.

So I used the loo (I’d paid my £2 parking fee!!) and headed for Frampton….. would I see those Turtle Doves??

NO.. again.  I sat for an hour at the location from which Turtle Doves are allegedly seen, ate my snap, tolerated the drizzle, and finally drove home. 
  
Just before I leave you, and as a PS, I checked the stats for people who have read any of the 75 posts on my blog as at 7th July.  There have been 5,520 views, of which 3,539 from the UK; 799 from Russia and 431 France. The most popular post is still my initial one in December 2015, with 80.  But as a number of my readers do not “log in” because they get each posting mailed to them, these miss the viewing counter. Not that the stats matter – I just enjoy doing them.

Next week, another (shorter) travel account from Ronald!!

Happy Birding


1 comment:

  1. Well done for spotting Corn Bunting, Arctic Tern and Green Sandpiper. To get the remaining 10 to take you to the magic 200 you may have to spread your wings, so to speak! A visit to bandit country (Scotland) perhaps, taking in Mull, Barra even St Kilda....
    Or visits to more civilised parts of the country such as Prawle Point, South Devon where Cirl Bunting can often be found. As for Turtle Dove, apart from having recourse to one conveniently stuffed I'm temporarily bereft of suggestions!
    In this blog, your accounts of your culinary and 'domestic' arrangements have run the birding a close second......

    ReplyDelete