Sunday 20 January 2019

Willington - Well Worth Watching !!


What did we finish last week on? 64 for the year to date so I’m pleased to say that in the last week I have added a further 8 taking me on to 72, and without having to travel too far from home.

Tuesday January 15th, Chris and I met at Erewash Meadows, on the outskirts of Ilkeston, and enjoyed a circular walk from the car park, under the great wrought iron Bennerley Viaduct up to the Erewash canal. The viaduct built in 1876 carried the Great Northern Railway and is classified as a Grade 11* listed structure. Its principal residents are Feral Pigeons and Jackdaws!

My big surprise and highlight were just as I was parking and looking towards Ilkeston, to see a plume of grey/white smoke progressively stretching north across my eye line along the Nottingham/Sheffield railway line. A large powerful black steam train was heading north, probably at about 50 miles an hour pulling just one utility coach. Fortunately, with bins to hand the power and the speed of the track rods were very clear and thrilling to see.  

I subsequently established that it was an LMS engine (London Midland and Scottish, and not Lehane Mackenzie and Shand, a company I used to work for in Matlock!!!), with the engine No 45212. For Railway aficionados, it was known as a “Black 5” and I can concur – it was black.

The internet disclosed that it was on “light engine movement” from Toton to Keighley & Worth Valley Railway and would depart Toton at approx. 8.51am. BLIMEY…spot on!!  I saw it at 9.02.

Sorry to digress (at length!!) but it was all very reminiscent of the days when I had my collection of Ian Allen I-Spy books, and collected train numbers at Bristol Temple Meads, and Clapham Junction.
And the supplementary information I found on the web, was never available 66 years ago.

Oh yes, birding.  We had a pleasant walk, nothing spectacular but I did add Great Spotted Woodpecker and Collared Dove to the year list, before we drove to Loscoe Dam for a look-see. 

Again nothing, so our next venue was Kings Mill reservoir near Mansfield. After leisurely jacket potatoes (good price…£5.20 including a cup of Tetley’s) we walked right round a lake very full of birds including all the winter visiting ducks.
                                                         
Friday January 18th.  Because it was quite some time since I last visited, I decided to check out
Willington Gravel Pits.   Good decision albeit that the temperature dictated multiple clothes layers.

A pair of Oystercatchers was the first tick, and from the next viewing ramp, my patience was rewarded by a Water Rail swimming right to left from one patch of reeds to another. En route, it ducked its head, and proceeded with a silvery fish held in its beak.

The DWT hide, apart from giving a good view of a well-stocked feeding station enabled me to add 4 Shelducks to my list.

Finally, from the viewing screen I picked up a Kingfisher flying as they do, dead straight at a consistent level above the water. Sort of bee-line principal. The light was very poor, so the iridescence was not evident… but the jizz was! 

Very pleased with that 2/3 hours walk….roll on the spring when the warblers arrive. The path is a great place for them.

Sunday January 20th,     I set off for Cromford to try again for the Hawfinch, but the drizzle and the light were too poor, so I popped into Carsington to see how my ex-colleagues were doing.  Noting that there was quite a lot of snow lying around, it was still a good decision to visit the Wildlife Centre!   Whilst it was not unexpected to see a Redshank, It WAS totally unexpected for 17 Whooper Swans to be off the end of Horseshoe Island.

Well., that is what I call a good birding week. Nothing particular booked for this week… may need a bit of research first (including the weather forecast!!)

Happy Birding

1 comment:

  1. Train spotting AND a Microtibialist! Mmmmm
    Whooper Swans at Carsington - amazing! Is this a first? Certainly in these numbers perhaps?

    ReplyDelete