Sunday 27 January 2019

26th January....a memorable day of indulgence and nostalgia!!


I guess when you have a productive walk like mine to Willington last week, you sort of hope that other weeks will be as good, especially in January when there are many birds to add to the year list still to be found.

I had read about the rifle pit at Long Eaton, but I did not know how exactly to find it, until I got some much-appreciated help from the Derbyshire expert, Rod Key.   His directions (2 choices!) were spot on and on Tuesday January 22nd I found the 2 pits without any problem.  The reported 2 Green Sandpipers were alive and active, and soon spotted chasing each other along the waters edge in the larger pit.

Could not say the same for the Black Necked Grebe. Yes, I had the right place; no, I could not find it.  3 or 4 Little Grebes to add to the confusion, but no sign of a Black Neck. So, my morning walk was just the one. Oh well, they all count.

Sorry to hear that full-time ranger at Carsington Water, Dave Drury is moving on. But it is promotion. He is going to Tittesworth, a Severn Trent reservoir near Leek, covering 12 months maternity leave. I have always found Dave a happy and helpful person, and the secondment will look good on his CV!!

Mary gets daily e-mails from Canada from an old friend she knew in Surrey. I suspect he is on a Facebook or similar and many of his-mails just get deleted. Many of the photographs are of wayside signs, and this one I thought worthy of repeating.

Outside a chapel “Adam blamed Eve; Eve blamed the Snake, and the snake did not have a leg to stand on.”

Friday.       I have had a sequence of e-mails from Christine who is happily birding in Scotland with Heatherlea.

Kicked off well with a Barn Owl, and later a lovely flock of c20 Snow Buntings. Capercaillie and Ptarmigan have been the bogey birds so far, but there is plenty of time. John seems to be having more “hits” with his camera, such as seals, dolphins and he also had a Barn Owl. He has however found that it has been so cold, that his camera would not download.   And I complain about the cold!

Very sad picture in the Derby Telegraph on Thursday, and repeated on national Television on Friday, of a pair of Great crested Grebes taken at Ogston. The birds are facing each other, but one, presumably the male, is presenting a piece of clear white plastic to the female. As the report said, “Yes, the Blue Planet got it right, but plastic is equally an issue much closer to home.”

Saturday 26th January 2019

I hope you will allow me a little self-indulgence, as this day was a milestone year for me, and it was to be a memorable day.

As a clue, two of the 21 birthday cards gave a strong hint. One listed notable events that happened in 1939, and I also found that 134 years to the day, General Gordon was killed at Khartoum... and not a lot of people know that!!

The second card depicted 2 Roman centurions speaking to each other.  First centurion - “Lo and I am LXXX to day”. Second Centurion “Well, you don’t looketh a day over XL.”

All six of my family plus our grandson Leo enjoyed an excellent meal at Morley Hayes hotel and golf club (near Ilkeston) in The Dovecot Restaurant, greatly enhanced by Mary and I being transported there in a stretch limo, complete with on-board champagne.

On the gift front, “didn’t I do well?”  A day course at Crich tram museum in April including actually driving a tram; a very nostalgic Moonpig type photo album containing 23 surreptitiously obtained memorable landmark photographs of my life from Zero to last year in Cyprus. (Pass the tissues.), and a number of generous meal vouchers to continue the birthday celebrations.  

So many kind people made the day truly memorable.

This morning (Sunday), with a bit of a not surprising hang-over, I went for some fresh air to Carsington, and had a further gift of 3 additions to my birding year list.

Following the guidance that I so often give to others, I checked all the Canada Geese in a large group, and there in the middle one Barnacle Goose. Then seeing Amanda going into twitching mode in the Wildlife Centre, and following her eye line, I spotted the regular pair of Ruff as they landed on the water’s edge.

Finally, almost falling asleep leaning against the window overlooking the feeding station, my patience was rewarded with a resident Willow Tit.     + 3 = 76!!!

Which means if I am to get 24 for my January 100, the next 4 days must be spectacular….. and nigh on impossible, with all I have on this week. Chris and I are going to Slimbridge on the 31st, which might add a dozen or so, but I suspect I will have to wait until the 5th February for the 100 mark when I do the Avocet cruise from Exmouth.

I’ll leave you some of the more amusing bird quiz questions that were in one of my birthday cards.
1.     
         Which birds spend all their lives on their knees?                Birds of Prey
2.    What do you call a sick eagle?                                            An Illegal
3      Which birds fly through the jungle singing opera?             The Parrots of Penzance.
       And finally..
4.     Why did the chicken cross the playground?                       To get to the other slide.

The others were not printable!

Happy Birding

No comments:

Post a Comment