Sunday 21 October 2018

The new 2019 Carsington BwB leader...Amanda.


Last week really did end on a high note and watching the Grey Phalarope at Old Moor and it’s non-stop ducking it’s head in the water searching for food, reminded me that it was 11 months earlier on 11th November 2017, that I saw a Grey Phalarope at Cley in Norfolk.  

On both occasions, the bird would busy itself for a period, then dash off to another feeding point. Being so small, if you did not see it when it left, you could spend a long time trying to see which stretch of water it had moved to.  Old Moor, in the wetlands hide, there were enough birders to keep it under observation.

Whereas at Cley, when I arrived at the site late morning, I was told it had not been seen that morning. Spotting the bird within 5 minutes of entering the relevant hide, gave me more than a little personal satisfaction!

In my post after our holiday in Cyprus, I told you about the coincidence of sitting next to Vanessa, a lady who had been on my BwB walk at Carsington some years ago.    IT’S HAPPENED AGAIN!!

On Wednesday, I attended a Patient Group (“Friends of…) for my local GP. My first attendance, I arrived last minute and found myself sitting a little way back next to another late arrival. I just had a feeling I had seen him somewhere before, and when the meeting closed, he said “I’ve been on your bird walk at Carsington, but not for a long time.”     

I think I’ve got to develop a disguise.

I am so pleased (Ed: Yes – that’s OK) to tell you that from January 2019, whilst Keith and Gary will be continuing with the Carsington BwB walks, my conductors’ baton will be transferred to the well-known and popular Amanda Palethorpe. 

Regular birders on my Sunday walk will have met Amanda when they reach the wildlife centre where she is invariably on duty; she has also been a great support to Keith with the BwB checking-in admin when I have been sun bathing in the Royal, or having a bedbath in The Med. (But not necessarily in that order... still a bit confused!!)

As Amanda and me, and also Pat are honorary members of the Carsington 5FT3IN club, I know you will be in safe hands from January 1. In 13 years, we have never varied from the same 12-hour walk (apart from escaping to the classroom) but I don’t know whether Amanda will make any changes - that will be her decision.

Even as I write, an e-mail has just winged its way from Amanda, presently in Scotland, telling me that to-day she has reached her 200 species target for 2018, with Crested Tit. She is chasing Christine, currently on 202, but with a Scottish bird holiday currently in progress I suspect Amanda will be in pole position very soon.




 This picture was taken of Amanda after receiving her 200 club award for a superb year total of 221, which comfortable surpassed her first 200+ in 2016.

Sunday 21st October  This was my pre-penultimate (Ed: Pardon?)  Bird Watching walk at Markeaton. I will be leading the walks in November and December, but whether a leader can be found to lead from 1st January 2019 remains to be seen.

8 people turned up for the walk today, a nice sunny and comfortable day, but alas only 19 birds to show for our 90 minutes. A little Egret flew over before the walk started, but our only notables were a Tree Creeper and a Mistle Thrush.  

Dogs running wild near the feeding table inhibited the passerines coming for the food that once again Pamela was generously providing. 

Don’t forget,   Sunday November 4 BwB Carsington Water   10.00am

Happy Birding

1 comment:

  1. Good to know that the Carsington Bird Walks, which were your creation, will be in a safe pair of hands.
    And I am so pleased that your Editor is so pleased that you are so pleased that Amanda is taking over.
    According to Wiktionary (sic) a better alternative to pre-penultimate would be antepenultimate. Of course one before that would give you preantepenultimate...and a headache

    ReplyDelete