Monday 15 October 2018

Sunshine, Birds and Welsh Scenery


Mary and I had a short break in Llandudno last Monday at the Bay Marine, a seafront hotel that my statistics showed I last visited in 1987.


                           “Slow service at Miss Marmalades, a nice coffee ship in Nantwich!”

The Bay brand is the poor relation of Coast & Country (CC), two of the Shearings brands. Bay is a bit cheaper, but it is basic. Whereas CC has an optional choice at Dinner (for an extra charge) Bay has a straight Table D’hôtel.

One evening I fell out with the Maître D when I was told that there was no more Suet Pudding, only to see it brought out to a couple at an adjacent table who came to dinner AFTER us. I was told that the Chef cooks a quantity, divides it by 3, (say117/3 = 39) and the first 39 at each sitting, has pud as a choice.  Care to tell me how fair that is? 

He said they would have turkey left over as there was a run on suet pud. Mary said, not surprising, the turkey was inedible and over-cooked, and she could not eat all of it anyway.

Going back there?.... rhetorical question.

I must say we did not expect a cheaper hotel to require us to share a room!!  At 7.45am, and again at c5.00pm, an immature Herring Gull would sit on our window sill and look through the glass. Fortunately, not one of the noisy ones. I assume Llandudno has found a way of rendering them mute.

Another guest told us they had the same experience, but their bird knocked on the window.


Really not what I expect…. when you draw the curtains, you don’t stand at the window at 7.45am in the altogether, with a nice cup of Tetley’s and expect 2 beady eyes to be examining you. 

On Tuesday our first full day, we went up Great Orme on the cable car. We had the right weather and a coffee, and the vast panoramic view made the journey well worthwhile. Mary and I have been there in previous years and walked down, but I’m afraid it was cable car each way this time.


Great Orme is a good birding location, but you need to get away from the visitor centre to see what is on the heath and in the gorse and bushes. Spring is undoubtedly the best time.

The good weather continued into Wednesday, for our trip up Snowden on the Snowden Mountain Railway (SMR).

You may recall that we originally planned to visit Llandudno in August, but my pneumonia forced us to change our hotel booking to October, and cancel the SMR trip.

I originally cancelled the SMR trip by a telephone call from my hospital bed and whilst I knew it was not company policy to make refunds, when I explained my situation, the kind lady at the other end said they would refund my money in full, which they promptly did.  It gave me pleasure on Wednesday to tell the booking clerk, to her face, how appreciative we were of her action, and true to my word we had re-booked and come back. A compliment to the company.













These are a few of the photos from which you can see how good the weather and the views were. They don't do justice to the view, which you have to remember from your own experience of the vista. We were surprised at the number of people walking up to the summit and indeed some carrying bikes!!!!

The train journey takes 60 minutes each way climbing c3,500ft. On foot it is about 5 miles (e.w) and takes app 3 hours. The record time, for up and back, is 1hour 3mins!!!!!  

A thoroughly enjoyable day and one off the bucket list.

Moving from good service to disappointing service.    Thursday was “wet-day”, and a round trip of 95 miles included finding the RSPB visitor centre at South Stack “closed for one day for essential maintenance”. I suppose it has to happen, but if the lights had been on and some signs of activity, we might have been… more convinced!! (It does after all include the only available Loos!)

We cruised the lanes around Holyhead hoping to spot a Chough, but had to be happy with a couple of Hooded Crows. (No 175)

Sunday 14th October was my first birding day for yonks!!  After a group of Carsington BwB birders had a birding day at Frampton Marsh earlier in the year, we agreed to have a similar trip in the Autumn and decided on the Dearne Valley.

Six of us braved the continuous rain for a morning at Old Moor and were rewarded by 49 different species,   The main draw was a very frisky Grey Phalarope with birders competing to see who could find it next! Ringed and Little Ringed Plovers were among the good count of 9 waders also including a Spotted Redshank.  

My personal year count moved on to 177, with some of the waders being lifers for some of our group.

We swerved the muddy walk across the field at Wombwell Ings and finished the day with a short spell in the Broomhill Flash hide. … following which it was home for a hot drink and an early bath!

Future Walks:-            
            Sunday Oct 21 BwB   Markeaton Park. 10.30am Craft village/Walled garden  90 mins £4/£2
            Sunday Nov 4 BwB  Carsington Water   10.00am

Happy Birding

PS: More news next week about the future leader for the Carsington BwB. 
           


2 comments:

  1. At least you had good weather despite the poor service you encountered on your travels.
    Loved the photo at Miss Marmalades. I knew you had lost weight (or wait?) but this is ridiculous.
    I often leave comments on TripAdvisor, usually good but not always, as well as giving my opinion in person. And Bay Marine would be right in the firing line for me!
    We had Chough on the steps near RSPB South Stack and also at Church Bay while on holiday on Anglesey.
    I had no idea that Hooded Crow could be seen this far south, I thought they were a Scottish bird.
    Your mention of a Grey Phalarope reminded me of the occasion when you and I were among the first of the few to see a Red-necked Phalarope at Slimbridge....happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post-script. I take it the Herring Gull on the window sill was not on the shower-room window sill....?

    ReplyDelete