Sunday 13 May 2018

Viral in 30 months? Not exactly rabid!


HOT NEWS
To-day, my blog has hit the 10,000 Page views milestone!!
Fame at last!!!

Tuesday 8th May..Well I did say I was looking forward to a good birding week, and with hindsight I should have rated it as moderate.   But not for the want of effort.

One not-a-rarity bird Chris had not seen this year was a Reed Warbler, and nor had I, so we met at 9am at Willington Gravel Pits where they almost come with a guarantee. We sauntered down the lane, picking out warblers en route such as Blackcap and Willow Warblers, and arriving at the DWT hide, bang on queue we could hear the distinctive Warbler song.  True to form, a Reed Warbler duly climbed up a very visible reed singing lustily.   

From Willington, we drove to Branston Water Park, and with a hot drink from the little café (which I had never seen before, not having been to Branston for 3 or 4 years) we had our snap before setting off for a site walk. We did a long lap of the site, over Branston lock (I helped shut a lock gate…gawd they are heavy!!), and then the wide circuitous walk (20k+ steps) (Ed: 10k each!) back for one of the last chocolate lollies in the cafe fridge!!

Wednesday 9th May, the next day, we joined the annual RSPB Chesterfield walk/climb at Padley Gorge, for exciting goodies like Flycatchers, Wood Warblers and Ring Ouzels, which was led by Amanda together with her husband Noel.

13 people duly gathered at the station getting off to a good start because the £2 per day ticket machine was not working!!!

The first anticipated tick was a Wood warbler, but sadly not this time. But within a few minutes, we were seeing the first of many lovely Pied Flycatchers both male and female, including heart-stopping views, first of Flycatchers disputing territory with a Redstart, and then males harassing a Great Spotted Woodpecker. Clear of the woods we added fleeting views of Tree Pipits.

Our target when we got up on to Burbage was Ring Ouzel, and despite help from fellow birders, we reached the point of turning back without success.  Fortunately, the ever watchful Amanda complete with periscope, suddenly stopped, unleashed her scope and picked up a Ring Ouzel high up on the top of the rocks.

Few trees grow on top of the rocks, but the RO was adjacent to the smallest of one of them, and I recall that it was at the same spot I had seen an Ouzel in a previous year.  And then, within moments of re-joining the main path, a large crow was gratefully identified ….as a Raven!!

Finally for this week, and for about the 5th year I went on the RSPB cruise from Boston. To make it worth while, I  spent the day birding at Gibraltar Point on Thursday 10th May. I’d checked the tides, and had a burger at the Point café, planning to walk to the sea shore for 2.30. 

I’d forgotten that the waters edge is closed off to the public form April 1 to 1st September, to protect Tern nests, so my day only added a Great White Egret on Jacksons Marsh.   Watch those dates for any future plans you may have.

On Friday before the Wash cruise, I had a couple of hours at Frampton Marsh. At 10.00am there is never much info at the visitor centre about current sightings, so I set off to look for myself. Sadly nothing new to add, but Ruff, Dunlin, both Ringed Plovers, and very close Skylarks were nice.
Boston key saw us set off for the 5 hours cruise on the Witham and the Welland. Nothing like as good as previous years. I only had Whimbrel to add, and that is because I spotted the trio for myself. 

The announcer was not as good as previous callers, even though he was being fed by a very experienced RSPB employee. All the calls were just flat statements “11 o’clock Common Tern; 3 o’clock, seals” , just repeating what the RSPB team told him. I know it was windy, and the speaker was not very loud, but I did hear mutterings from the people inside thinking nothing was being seen because they could not hear any announcements. A great pity.



The only compensation was that as we came back to Boston, and looked for the Peregrine on The Stump, one of the parents of the 4 chicks came out and circled high above us and the Stump giving fabulous views, and this photograph just about identifies it.



Oh well 1, 5 and 2 = 8 ..so 157 to date...not bad really..it’s just thinking what I missed, like the Snowy Owl at Frieston Shore!!

Happy birding.

PS.   Sunday May 20th … 10.30 Markeaton BwB

1 comment:

  1. 10,000 page views! Well done! I'm sure there is no cause for concern that most of them come from Russia. Perhaps you are on good terms with Mr Putin?
    Some good birds at Padley Gorge especially Ring Ouzel which is still on my bucket list.
    I won't say that Ravens are as common as sparrows here in glorious Devon but I see them most times I walk along the cliff path. Cliff nesting birds are increasing in numbers. Willow Warbler was heard nearby and Swallows and House Martins are active, also close by.
    A Dipper has been seen on the river in Lynmouth and the regular colony of nesting House Martins has returned to Lea Abbey.
    Our own House Martin nests have attracted the attention of Blue Tits although House Martins can be seen flying over the garden.
    Still waiting for the Peregrine on Castle Rock.
    I trust that this comment meets the required brevity standards....

    ReplyDelete