Sunday 20 May 2018

Montagu's Harrier and Spotted Flycatcher in the same week...Phew!!!


It was obvious that if I was going to get anywhere near the big two-double-o in 2018, I would need to visit cliffs, and the usual location in years gone by has been Bempton cliffs.   I’ve had mixed fortunes over the years, like the year when Tony and I arrived at the car park, and were faced with thick sea mist. Gannets, Guillemots and Razorbills were visible, but we had to wait until after lunch for the mist to clear.  

This time, Wednesday 16th May, it was very windy and cold and strangely seemed to be inhabited mainly by photographers. Tightly gripping my optics, I was able to tick plenty of Razorbills and Kittiwakes, and just a few Puffins and Fulmars. I had seen Guillemots and Gannets in Devon, but they were in good numbers on the Bempton cliffs.  This i-phone photograph shows how hard Gannets were working to ride the winds.




One problem with the winds was that any Corn Buntings were well hunkered down, so I dipped there.

I’m still not sure what I was paying the RSPB £5 admission for, as the coastal viewing path is a public footpath anyway. And I was surprised when a volunteer “greeter” had to ask a colleague when I asked which was the best location for Corn Buntings.   But the Coffee was welcome… both times. 

Rain arrived at lunch time, forcing me to  retreat to the car from the seat overlooking the quarry, a spot where Tony and I have dined many times, and enjoyed good passerine sightings such as both Whitethroats.

And if I do criticise, I must equally complement, this time the volunteers for the constructive and informative sightings board. The quality of reported information at some birding locations varies so wildly (even like sites with web sites that are anything up to a week out of date). Others could learn from Bempton. After all, what do all birders want to know on arrival?   “What’s about?”  It looks like this, and just as clever, they periodically photograph the sightings board and post it on the net. Frampton Marsh do much the same. Viz




Just as a digression, I showed the above picture to Holly, the new RSPB shop manager at Carsington Water and an hour later she and her volunteers had produced this!! Just what is needed at the Visitor Centre, and I hope that keen birders will encourage the newbies by keeping the info up to date.





I claim 10% credit for the suggestion!

 After lunch, I went to Filey Brigg, and whilst grappling with a scope in the wind prevented me spotting any Purple sandpipers ( I was told they were there!!), I did pick up 5 Scoters. (The good cafĂ© on the Brigg .. good for toasted teacakes, was, at 3.30, closed???)  So with time to spare, I dropped into Filey Dam, and immediately spotted a wader that had so far eluded me… Common Sandpiper.

Found a comfortable B &B in Bridlington (£40 per night), excellent breakfast (“ No Baked Beans thank you.” “ Would you like 2 eggs?” ).

Nothing on the net to go for on Thursday 17th May, so Blacktoft seemed a good en route venue which I reached by 10.15.

GOOD decision…. After 2 minutes in Singleton Hide, one female Montague’s Harrier drifting around the site. Me? Only the second ever sighting of a Monty, the first in July 2007, and a lifer for another birder in the hide.

Just to check that you are with me and still awake, would you shop at a supermarket that had bargains like this?



Saturday 19th May, and whilst I am a royalist, 4 hours in front of the haunted fishtank watching a wedding is not my scene. Which is why I could be found at Carsington doing a bit of “greeting” ( and helping the RSPB on the above sightings board.) In the course of finding info on the net to put on the board, particularly the reports by Carsington Bird Club, I noticed that Spotted Flycatcher had been reported there at 3 locations.

12.15…..Tick!!  Sparky Mike gave me the best location, in the Sheepwash area, and so I ended the week on a comfortable 165…good week.

Sunday 20th May  it was my BwB walk at Markeaton Park…  Only 21 species for the 5 people on the walk, and humanity was in the ascendance…. But the female Goosander was good compensation.

Next Sunday (27th) we have the first Carsington BwB away day to Frampton Marsh, so the nice group of 7hsould have some good reports for next week.

Then Sunday 3rd June, the normal Carsington BwB. (Walk Number 162, as it happens!!)

Happy Birding

2 comments:

  1. The Microtibialist26 May 2018 at 15:57

    As Slim appears not to have any comment on this posting (strange?), I am using this post to help illustrate in my next posting how to add a comment, for them wot can't do it!! (Under my pen name of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is 'succinct' and there is abstinence. But I'm back!
    And I miss Bempton! My info on Gannets (courtesy of Chris Packham) is that adult gannets are such skilled flyers that they use very little energy flying or gliding into a head wind. Cracking photo though. I wonder if the RSPB £5 admission is to ensure that people pay for the car park?
    Montagu's Harrier and Spotted Flycatcher in the same week! I should think you needed a lie down in a darkened room after that!
    I agree entirely about up to date sightings boards. Next time I am on a reserve run by an organisation I am a member of and their sightings board is clearly not up to date, I will point this out to them!
    No I wouldn't go for the supermarket offer you highlighted (lowlighted?). But then I avoid supermarkets anyway, they bring on one of my allergies.
    TTFN

    ReplyDelete