Sunday 29 April 2018

Micro-Tibialism goes International


International publicity for the  Micro-Tibialist
Hold the phone! Hold the press!.. just hold on.

Roy (or Royston to his Mum) has been a friend for over 50 years, and we go back to the days of tenpin bowling in league at Hove then Croydon then Tolworth, always under the team name Little Squirrels (because that was the name of his house in Claygate.) Now that WAS a surprise.     An e-mail from a friend of many years standing, who now lives in Portugal, and from time to time, in Devon. 

We went to the same church youth club, I was his best man, and we made an 8mm cine film about the name Hardy to celebrate his father’s promotion to a Masonic master. (Don’t know anything about that organisation, but I know we had a lot of fun making a cine film on my Eumig 8 camera, to show at a Ladies Masonic night.)

The subject was the Hardy antecedents, and the film linked Roy’s father with such well-known Hardys as Laurel and Hardy, Freeman Hardy & Willis, and of course Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, a Royal Navy officer of the Battle of Trafalgar fame. The filming of the latter called upon the actor playing Hardy (Roy) to kiss Nelson (me). The consequential camera shakes due to the laughter by Mary and Barbara (Mrs Hardy) ensured such a blurred picture that censorship was not needed.  

But I digress…or reminisce

.Roy e-mailed to say that a batch of programmes sold by the BBC and deemed to be non-showable were being screened on his local Portuguese network.  Roy happened to be watching the channel last Sunday and found himself watching the Antiques Road show edition in which I appeared with my leg collection, in 2014, in the days before I became a Micro-Tibialist. In the same show, my daughter Sarah could be seen in the crowd.




Now that is what I call a coinicidence… all those leg fans – what fame!

Whilst I’m on the subject I’ve added a couple of rather odd additions to my leg collection. Not the usual sophisticated antique examples, but novelties to be added to my “naff” section. Well they are legs after all.






 Bottle Stoppers !!!!
                                       

Life is full of surprises, like last Tuesday 24th April, when Chris, Gill and I decided to catch up on the Warbler arrivals at Attenborough. As Chris and I passed each other on the drawbridge to the visitor centre, she said, “What a shame no Red Crested Pochard, to which I could only reply. “There’s one behind you!! Proves the point 6 eyes are better than 2!!

We had a very good morning (it rained p.m.), and being early, it was quiet, we beat the school trips, and the sun was out. Whitethroat and Common Tern were on the list in no time, plus this confiding pheasant who almost ate from my hand.



A fellow birder told us where to find the Grasshopper Warbler. Recalling over the years how many hours I have loitered on the path near Wheatear field, hearing the fishing wheel whine of a Gropper, but not seeing it. This time we, and several other people, heard, saw and even photographed up to 2 birds on the bushes opposite the Kingfisher hide. What a thrill.

Sedge Warbler and Sand Martin were added to the list before we repaired for lunch. Gill decided to go shopping, so Chris and I took our cars to my house, Mary did a quick brew, and having parked up, Chris and I both set off for Carsington for the evening annual Yellow Wagtail walk, run by the Severn Trent volunteers in cahoots with Carsington Bird Club.

Roger Carrington and John led us round Stones Island in a very damp and drizzly 2-hour evening walk, and whilst we dipped on the Yellow Wags, Hirundines were around and I added Willow Warbler and Little Ringed Plover.

SO (!!) at the 28th April, I’m now on 146, and Chris is well ahead on 172, helped by a bit of travelling, and more to come.

Next BwB?   Carsington    Sunday 6th May 10.00am as usual.

…..oh and the res is 94.1% full, and still rising.


Happy Birding

1 comment:

  1. You will be delighted to hear that my blood pressure is now back to normal, helped by another win with the jobs worth's of this world, this time with a supermarket. No other I/D necessary other than to say they are known for the excellence of their food.
    On this occasion it was clothing. A jacket described as rain proof thanks to their 'new technology' was anything but. Turned out it was miss-labelled on their website. After some argy-bargy along the lines of 'We don't make mistakes like that' the jacket was returned and a full refund obtained together with a £40 gift voucher for the inconvenience.
    I wonder why the Beeb decided that the Antiques Road show starring your good self was non-showable? Trying to read the expressions of you and the expert I was unable to decide if it had been because of some of the language used during the exchange or the subject matter on the table. One thing is certain, if you try and get into the show in the future with your latest acquisitions you won't get past the door!!
    Good to hear that the Spring migration is well under way, producing some nice warblers. Grasshopper Warbler has always been my Number 1 bird at Attenborough.
    Spring migration is well under way here as well. A mixed flock of Razorbills and Guillemots has been seen on the sea at the foot of the cliff. A male Linnet flew by at head height on the cliff path and a Willow Warbler's unmistakable song was heard nearby.
    Photographs of the Grasshopper Warbler would be very welcome on WhatsApp as would details of your new garden bird bath - still awaited.

    ReplyDelete