Sunday 22 April 2018

"Always look on the bright side of life!"


You will probably realise that I like odd snippets of information and news, and I try to share them with you if I think they may be of interest.

“So!”… a couple to start my post for this week.

Carsington Water. Regular visitors will have watched the rises and falls of the water level and will know that the  level only goes up when there has been a good rainfall AND the Derwent is running fast.   Over the last few weeks the reservoir level has started to rise again, due to the pumps being turned on at Ambergate.   As at today, the Res is 93.7% full.

A headline in the Friday 13th April issue of METRO, made my pulse race. “ANGRY BIRDS - The Eagles and the Seagulls go beak-to-beak”.

Imagine my sigh of relief when I found it was not about a trained eagle chasing off coastal Herring Gulls, but a psyche-up article for football supporters for about a forthcoming match between Crystal Palace v Brighton & Hove Albion.  The Eagles (Crystal Palace) won 3-2!

I know I have said it before, but “it’s been a funny old week”!

Tuesday, I spent a couple of hours at Carsington, updating the courtyard press cuttings board, emptying the bird feed donation box, banking the bird food donations, and paying the Volunteers treasurer, the generous donations from people on my BwB walks for 2018 to date. Whilst chatting to Pat and Gill, a swallow did a double fly past, so that upped my 2018 list to 135.

During my visit I also collected my copy of the annual Carsington Bird Club report. The 2017 issue is the 26th report by the club, since it’s inauguration in 1992 when the Queen officially opened Carsington Reservoir.

The report is a huge credit to Gary Atkins (who regularly helps me on the Carsington BwB walks) and fellow club members who have contributed to and prepared this 68-page report in only just over 3 months after the end of 2017. Comprising 26 pages of articles and 39 pages of bird sighting reports on all the species seen in 2017, the report is an excellent benefit from being a club member.
I have said before that a Black Necked Grebe was chosen as the club logo because it was the rarest species on site on 22nd May 1992. Wondering which species would have had that honour on 22nd May 2017, the CBC on-line archives revealed it to be a Black Tern – well 3 actually!!!

By the way, Amanda is currently on 147, but confesses that a short break in Norfolk earlier in the year did boost her count.

Wednesday, I encountered a kamikaze Robin in the garden such that I had to do an emergency stop with the mower. He got the worm – I missed the Robin.

Wednesday I took Mary to see Spamalot at the Derby theatre. It was very funny and well worth seeing. None of the celebrities that were in the West End version were in the cast, but the 12 actors worked so hard for 1 hour 40 minutes. When the audience joins in with well-known songs like “Always look on the bright side of life” you know everyone is enjoying themselves.   If you haven’t seen it, if it’s in your locality (again) try and see it. Our local vicar has seen the show 3 times, including London. And the fact that I didn’t fall asleep speaks volumes.

Inspired with happiness, Thursday 19th April, the hottest day this year (so far) I went to Old Moor, with a list of goodies that Amanda gave me.   Missed the lot!!!!!, but I did get a pair of Mediterranean Gulls and a “lost” Sandwich Tern………. Which takes me on nicely to 137.

The hot day inspired me to get to the grips with the garden, and included installing this fountain, which we hope will give another source of drinking and bathing for our garden birds.



Now looking forward to next Tuesday (24th April), with the 6pm Yellow Wagtail safari at Carsington. Meet at the Visitor centre. (That's after a day at Attenborough, with high hopes!!)

Happy Birding

1 comment:

  1. I have heard that your Yellow Wagtail safari was cold and wet and produced zero Yellow Wagtails - disappointing. But you did get a Sandwich Tern at Old Moor - I have never heard of one there before.
    Talking about terns I have seen two Arctic Terns swooping onto the sea near Lynmouth Harbour recently and a couple of Razorbills close in to the foot of the cliff. Things are certainly on the move here in the avian world despite the decidedly mixed weather.
    However - there always has to be a 'however' doesn't there - this is where the good news ends. You may recall that about three weeks ago I had a vaso-vagus 'event' during which my blood pressure crashed to 80/60. This week has cured that in spades!
    Firstly I bought an item from Amazon costing £2-82 and was told I would be charged £6 delivery despite it stating quite clearly next to the item that delivery was free. After some effort haranguing Amazon I may MAY be getting the delivery charge refunded.
    Then on Thursday the car was collected for a service etc to be returned later that day. End of the day no car! Someone had gone off sick so they couldn't return it. The dealer is a large organisation and they had no-one else who could return the car??? It was finally returned on Friday afternoon but without some minor bodywork damage even being looked at!
    My low blood pressure has been cured!
    To end on a positive note I really like you new bird bath. Perhaps you could send me details of your supplier via WhatsApp please?
    I am assuming, of course, that it is intended for the birds and not for yourself, now being of somewhat reduced stature?

    ReplyDelete