Friday 30 June 2017

Frampton Marsh via Autopilot

Tuesday 20th June ……..

 I don’t have a satnav on my car, mainly because the nut that holds the steering wheel is pre-programmed to take the shortest route to many Uk birding sites. It can find the quick route to Bempton, Blacktoft, Rutland, Slimbridge, Exe Estuary, Arne, Martinmere (includes info on that route to spot the speed trap that a previous driver missed = £60 kerching!), to name a few.

To-day responding to the audible instruction “Turtle Doves” we are off to Frampton Marsh. (see below!!)

 Don’t know how you are on triv, but do you recall the Hitchcock thriller which was first shown in 1963? No? Starred Tipi Hedren and Rod Taylor. No? included Corvus Corone? Oh for goodness sake, you must recall that great thriller The Birds. What a classic, and what a frightener.

 Wind forward 54 years and on Tuesday, I had a strong sense of déjà vu. I’ve previously told you about a visit many years ago to Frampton Marsh when Avocets attacked a Red Kite. To-Day it was my turn to be threatened, and to say the least it was a bit scary.

 Yes, I was a Frampton trying to see the Turtle Doves (Don’t ask..dipped again), and I went up on the sea wall having been told it was the best vantage point to see the Spoonbills. Well it may have been, but I finally spotted them from the 360 hide. But whilst searching from the bank, 2 Redshanks were giving all the signs of RAF fighters shadowing me as a Russian aircraft, and with sound effects. They stopped as I went on, and then had another go on the way back.

 Down on the path to the 360 hide, which is in between 2 high bunds and is quite protected, 3 Avocets were equally protective and decided to have a right royal go at me, and a group of 4 non-birders. 

From the safety of the 360 hide, and using my scope, the non-birders got good views of the Spoonbills and particularly the spatula shaped beaks.

 As I retraced my steps, it was a repeat of the Avocet aggression. Near the visitor centre there was a very young Avocet chick, only about 5ins long, running along the path, not cowering but upright and confident. Where was Mum? Probably somewhere else fighting off friendly bird watchers. Stoats, corvids, raptors and gulls? I don’t hold out a lot of hope for young Avo-chick.

 I had another look at the alleged location for the Turtle Doves prior to setting off for home, but once again..Zilch. One day, One day.

It was at this point that other responsibilities took over, and for the next 2 days I was dedicated to resolving a family problem, including getting legal help, so I’m afraid Mary and I left on Friday suitably shattered, for 7 days in Weston Super Mare, without even a backward glance!! Sorry.

 And I’m afraid birding on the Severn Estuary was a big fat Zero. On Monday, we did get embroiled in the aftermath of the Glastonbury Festival, especially after listening to a 15 minutes lecture by the Shadow Prime Minister (only joking!), so Mary DID Clarke’s village, and I did the Ham Wall. Ham Wall I had not visited before, and found it to be an ENORMOUS reed bed. In my short visit I did see a couple of Great White Egrets, and heard the boom of a Bittern in the reed bed. Must be true to my beliefs.. I am a Bird Watcher, not a Bird listener so sadly the Bittern, a bird needed for my 2017 list, did not count.


Strictly Synchronised Swimming ------ from The Ham Wall Reserve Somerset (RSPB)

Rock Pipits on Sand Point near Weston were nice, especially as the pair were clearly collecting food for a nest somewhere in the rocks. Oh and a nice perching show-off Stonechat!

So, I am now submitting a late post for last Sunday, and hope that next Tuesday (Yes, Tuesday) I will have some goodies to report from the BWB walk on Sunday, my Boston Belle cruise on Monday, and a birding day at Gibraltar Point on Tuesday………………….. but the best laid plans etc etc etc.

 Late news...just to let you know how the Big 200 race is progressing. Amanda who must be very grateful for the big drop in the price of unleaded, is on a brilliant 207, and we are only at 30th June. 

Chris and I trail like the bridesmaids behind the bride, jointly on 186. (Imagine the picture!!)

 Chris has had a few plans aborted, and wants to know if potential sightings later in the year in Eire can somehow be included, under a Brexit agreement.

 Due to my hearing deficiencies, I wish to include heard birds, if only for 1/2 or .5, per bird. Now where are those Bee eaters?

 TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment