Sunday 18 June 2017

Nightjars & Woodcocks........... they are worth the wait.

Sunday 11th June     When I realise that my progress towards the holy grail of 200 species is starting to languish somewhat, I find myself pondering “shall I bother”, and today was a bit like that. Nothing on the web site for Derbyshire this morning, nor Notts, so should I cut the grass? 

But ever the optimist I decided I’d see what was happening at Carsington. Oh Boy, was that the right decision. Nothing new, but very much worth the visit.

The Janet Ede Hide looks good, rabbits appear to be burrowing underneath, Simon Roddis had no significant birds to report, so all quiet…so far.  Until I was walking back along the causeway to the centre, only to be buzzed by a wing of 5 Red Arrows heading South West…..and 30 seconds later, another 5. 

Anne Dutton on reception found that they were on the way to a display at RAF Cosford in Shropshire, from their base at RAF Scampton.  Interesting.


Tuesday 13th June, I still think Blacktoft Sands is the best and nearest place to see BeardedTits, so an hour and half later, at 10.15 I’m buying my senior’s permit to check out 5 hides. I don’t usually visit the furthest Ousefleet hide, as previous visits have been abortive.   

It does not take long to see the first of many Marsh Harriers, but nobody seems to be getting an eye-ball on the Beardys. Plenty of Avocets, and Little Grebes, with Singleton and Marshland hides being the most rewarding.

My one list addition at Blacktoft was fortuitously looking at the Barn Owl box from Marshland hide at exactly the moment that a parent flew in with food. Perfect!   But nature in the raw continues, and the continuous noise and harassing from 2 Black Headed Gulls and 3 Avocets, was directed at a persistent Magpie that had stolen an egg from a nest on a small island, and was persisting in getting back to finish the shell remains.

In the evening, I joined 6 members of Ogston Bird Club, for a walk in Clumber Park to see Nightjars and Woodcocks, led by John Parlby of OBC. Because the park closes at 7pm, we had to get there before that time to get the cars inside the electronic gates. We meandered around the park, finally going to the best location for our target birds, at 9.30.   

And we were soon rewarded with the first of 6 sightings of Woodcock.   After a short gap, the unmistakeable churring of Nightjars was heard, and two birds were seen several times in the area where we were standing. Getting home at 11.45 WAS worthwhile, even if difficult to explain!
So that’s 3 more on the list, and whilst the ladies are on more than my 185, I’m not out of the running……yet!

Telescopes.   Last week I covered binocular focusing, this week I wanted to mention Telescopes. On the BWB walks, we often have 3 or 4 telescope toters, who willing allow non-scopers to get better views of any special birds. But I do hear people without scopes, often saying, “I can’t see what you are looking at”.

There is a technique involved which should help, and I recall listening to a birder on the prom at Minehead telling everyone who looked through his scope how to see a clear image. 

“Stand back from the eyepiece, and position your head so that when you look at the eyepiece, the light circle is in the middle of the eye ring.  Then move your head towards the eye-ring keeping the circle of light in the middle – the light circle will enlarge so that it becomes the full size of the lens, and (providing the lens was focused on the object item in the middle of the view) the object you are wanting to see will be in the middle of the lens”

Try it, it works.


Happy birding

No comments:

Post a Comment