Sunday 23 October 2016

Top US NEWS... Clinton? Trump? No....a Duck... Daniel.

Thursday October     World News.

You are not going to believe this!!!!   Have you heard of a duck called Daniel?  His full name is Daniel Turducken Stinkerbutt, Daniel for short.  He is a 4 ½ year old Indian Runner, who wears a diaper and red shoes, and who took his first flight to-day on a USA aircraft from Charlotte to Ashville, and received his first flight certificate.

Yep, whilst this could only happen in Trump-land, Daniel is actually an Emotional Support Duck, and is said to help calm nervous flyers. Check out Yahoo for more info.

Meanwhile, whilst not quite like the US Grand Prix this weekend, I’m enjoying the excitement of watching Christine and Amanda heading for their first 200 bird species by the 31st December. I get text messages sharing each stage of their successes. Amanda sent an irritating one last week saying everyone at Old Moor had seen the Jack Snipe, and she hadn’t. Tuesday 18th, brief text “J Snipe – 3 smiley faces – 191”!!   

Meanwhile Christine went off to look for, and found the Purple Gallinule (OK - Swamp Hen!) at Alkborough Flats   The site is close to Blacktoft as the crow flies, but not by road. She also picked up Bearded Tit. Obviously buoyed with enthusiasm, a few days later a Glossy Ibis at Cossington, Leicestershire took her on to 194, and there are still 71 days to go for both ladies!! 

Chris is having a couple of days in Norfolk later in the year so I imagine Snow Buntings and Shore Larks are targets.

I’ve really got my daughter Sarah into watching the Red Kites when she goes south.   Last Wednesday, Mary and I went to Kent and saw one on the M25, both on the way and on the way back, and the trip included Buzzards (obviously!) and a hovering Kestrel, which don’t seem to be so frequent around motorways. And our cemetery visit at Leatherhead witnessed 7 Ring Necked Parakeets. As usual we heard them coming.

Sarah and Julian went to Surrey on Saturday, counted 26 RK’s + 4 on the M40, got so engrossed they missed the west turn on to the Magic Roundabout, and then got 2 more. Details of the return journey will be reported, if significant!

Talking of reporting, I told you about the Mute Swan with a ring that I saw at Attenborough on the 4th October and reported to the BTO, and I said I would let you know if I got any more information.
I had a reply to-day informing me that Y619 was a male and was ringed as a Cygnet on 19th September 2010, only 20 minutes away at Markeaton park, Derby. I also understand it is the parent of Y642 which was rung at Attenborough in May 2014. Wonderful what a mine of info a ring number can produce.

Carsington.   The volunteers have done some good work on Horseshoe Island this week, which will help the ground breeding birds next year, and they cut back the willow in front of the wildlife centre which was inhibiting views of the opposite bank.

PS : don’t forget the next Beginners Bird Walk is Sunday 6th November. Book now, there are some places left.

I’ve not long finished reading a book with a compilation of the weekly column written by Jeremy Clarkson for a national paper. It’s the sort of book that you can read 2/3 of his articles then put it down. 

And I’m now on to a lovely book called “Nightingales in November” which only came out this year and written by Mike Dilger. Chris gave it to me when I was recuperating in July, and it’s just got to the top of my pile of books and mags to read. I mention it because if you see it for sale, it is a good read.

It is about the progress of 12 British Birds throughout a calendar year, covering each species 3 times a month.That gives over 400 short pars about how each specie is progressing throughout the year. It's a bit like Ckarkson's book in that you can read 5/6 short articles then put the book down.  

I’m on March at the moment, and have picked up all sorts of fascinating facts. The 12 include Peregrine, Bewick, Lapwing, Swallow, Tawny Owl and 6 others.

Well it's plenty of “this and that” this week, but only because I haven’t been out birding    But wait until next week… everything changes!!



No comments:

Post a Comment