Sunday 2 October 2016

River cruising - the best way for close up birding.

As part of the therapy to get over the consequences of my operation, I have to indulge in plenty of Positive thinking, forward looking, definite plans, upward looking and as Frank Spencer said, “in every day, in everyway, I will get better and better.”

Whilst endeavouring to fulfil some of these objectives, I find myself in a negative domestic disagreement situation with the Managing Editor, or in these circumstances, I prefer to call her “Er indoors”.  (That sort of remark is conducive to inflaming the situation anyway!)

You see I want to go on a cruise. This is where we differ. It appears to be something to do with the time 4/5 years ago when we stayed, together with 2 good friends Barbara and Roy, on my brothers boat on a swinging mooring in the middle of the River Dart. Simon, my brother, had made us feel very welcome on his boat “Tatti” and we slept on board for one night.

Apparently sleeping on what she described as being on a water bed, led Mary to spend the next 7 days suffering from sea legs, and nothing I can say to this day will move her from her entrenched view, that from the Isle of Wight ferry to the SS Queen Elizabeth, they will all result in the same symptoms.

I wouldn’t mind, but I only wanted to go on the Boston Belle bird-watching cruise to the Wash! 

It's only a trip down a river for goodness sake, so I was forced to exercise the authority of the master of the house, and go ahead with the booking (alone) on the 25th of this month.

As a bonus, I have also booked (again alone) on the Avocet cruise from Exmouth and upstream to Topsham (and back!) on the 25th January 2017, which should really boost my bird count for 2017. I have to be honest. Mary has done this cruise on the Exe, but not when it was designated a bird-watching trip. Her problem is that the cruise scenario, fortunately for birders, means the boat will loiter = wallow if there are good birds to be seen.

Sunday 2nd October.  I did my monthly bird walk at Carsington this morning, and 18 people really struggled, and failed, to see the statutory 30 species - just a lowly 28. When we got in the right position with the sun behind us, we had good views of Wigeon, mainly still in eclipse, and which were rightly voted bird of the day. Only Teal and Willow Tit came close to getting any votes.

Soon after we set out, there was evidence of some serious birders on Stones Island, appearing to be taking a large amount of interest in some bushes near my 100th walk commemorative nest box. 

It transpired that at 9.00am, a very competent birder had seen, and heard, a Yellow Browed Warbler, and as this was only the second time this species had been identified at Carsington in the 24 years since the reservoir was opened, this was a big attraction. 

We were too big a group to mix it with 8-10 knowledgeable birders. Bird twitches can get far more than 28 people, but that is usually when the birders can line up, with scopes etc and watch the bird activity. In our case, the exact location of the bird was not known, as it kept moving, so continuous movement of a large group of searching birders would more likely make the bird hide away.

Bird Guides web site had details of 4 reported sightings, at 9.10; 10.17; 13.15; and 15.45, and I don’t doubt some birders like us, would (in bird parlance) have dipped. i.e. not seen the bird.  We passed “The Spot” at 11.10.

So what else is news? Amanda is in Hungary (well, back now) and no doubt with photos of Cranes, Chris has been in Dorset this week, and moves closer to the magic 200, with 190 to date. She texted me about a sighting of a Wryneck on Portland on the 27th September 2016, and I told her about the time I saw one in the same place, with the same bird guide she was with, on 11th September 2006. Almost 10 years to the day, and shows the interesting benefit of keeping records. 

And no, it was not plastic!

Just in case you have not seen the poster at Carsington, the next few Bird Watching for Beginners Walks are November 6, December 4... and yes, honestly.....1st January 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment