Saturday 30 April 2016

Snow, sleet, ice....... Summer's here!.. so are the migrants.



Now then... that’s a bit more like it!  A good day’s birding, frozen to the marrow, snow, heavy traffic and a plate of Yorkshire hotpot. Obvious why I go birding.

But enough of this euphoria.. the story starts here..

Tuesday 26th April  Christine picks me up at 9.00am and at last we find the journey to Old Moor is no longer restricted to 50mph all the way to the M18. Broomhill Flash is the first stop, having to climb through the (official-) gap in the hedge to face the north winds and view the flash. Within minutes, my first Swift of the year (just love that bird) followed soon by a Common Sandpiper. 

The builders tell us that the new Garganey Trust  hide IS due to open next weekend (c7th May), which considering how often I have expressed my disappointment, it will be great to see the finished 2-tier building.

Next stop, RSPB Old Moor and we head straight for the Tree Sparrow farm. Good decision, because the first bird we see is a gorgeous male Yellow Hammer on the grass. 

We check all the other hides, and as we leave the Wader scrape hide, volunteer Amanda (who also volunteers at Carsington and helps with my bird walks) tells us the nearby spot to see a Lesser Whitethroat.  She adds “It helps if you know the call”, which she does and we don’t! However, we find the spot, hear an unusual call and stand still in the wind and sleet for 10 minutes to try and locate what would be a great addition for 2016. In due course, our patience is rewarded and the bird works its way up into the open, so that we can both see and hear the call of a Lesser Whitethroat, an excellent summer visitor.

A tasty Hotpot and a nice coop o tea, and we are ready to check out the reedbeds. Sadly to no avail, but the viewing screen is photographed as it gives me good ideas for our proposed additional hide/screen at Carsington.

4pm, and we are now on our way to Carsington for a 6pm walk to see some of the first Yellow Wagtail arrivals. Traffic is ****** and Chesterfield is ditto, but thanks to Chris we pull into the car park at 5.55pm. (Why arrive earlier? Except we did want a drink and snack first.)

10 hardy souls brave more sleet and the cold, but Jon Bradley from Carsington Bird Club knows where to look, and spots our first Yellow Wagtails on water sports island in the scrub. The first is a nice male, and a bit later a female is seen. Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, White Wagtail, and hirundines help make the evening what it was meant to be, a Yellow Wagtail walk. (7.30pm, the car park emptied with remarkable speed, and I was grateful for Chris putting on the under-seat heater on my side of the car!)

So it was a good day, 5 additions to my 2016 list taking me to 151. The proposed target of 160 was clearly a figment of my imagination!

...............or was it?   Saturday 30th April, I manage to catch a couple of hours at Attenborough, with great success. Place seems to be full of photographers, but all the summer migrants should be in by now, so plenty to photo. 

Common Terns are in view before I get out of the car, and a leisurely stroll to and around the tower hide area adds a female Linnet (I’ve been after THAT bird all year), Reed Warbler (singing well and only one diving into the reeds enabled me to add it to the 2016 list), several Sedge Warblers, and 4 Whitethroats.

For some reason Blackcap eludes me still, despite being a warbler that now often spends Christmas in the UK. Patience David.

I’m told there is a Hoopoe at Branston Golf Club (near Burton on Trent) but that’s off my radar today.

I manage a brief view of a Whimbrel before it takes flight, so this short visit has added 6 to my list =157... aint all that far off the forecasted 160.      

Honour (mostly-) satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment