Wednesday 13 April 2016

A Painful black backed experience



Tuesday 5th April or for those who care (now) the last date to make your plans for your 2015/16 ISA allowance. Being one who didn’t care, and couldn’t get excited about getting 1.25% interest on my £2,000, I persuaded friend Chris to have a day at Carsington and we would hopefully tick off some birds we had not seen, and also some summer arrivals.

Stones Island has been a popular bird watching point in recent weeks as a good place to see the Great Northern Divers, and when we walked there last week with my bird walk, 5-6 people with scopes were scanning the water. In April, as well as the Divers it is a good spot to see any Ospreys passing through and by the time I write this, I know that one has been spotted (more news next week).

So Chris and I meandered round Stones and spotted Sand Martins, House Martins and Swallows (too early for the Swifts).  Chiffchaffs were well in attendance, and a single Willow Warbler with a very soft song, was spotted.   Despite the crowds in the restaurant, we managed to get a snack quickly in the courtyard tea room, and then went to see how the Volunteers were doing in the Wildlife Centre. Word was that a Jack Snipe had been seen in Shiningford Creek, but despite grabbing a scope and a walk closer up the path, we missed out.

A visit to Paul Stanley hide was abortive, but the Sheepwash hide did produce a Little Ringed Plover. We had a considerable debate about 2 small golden fronted and streaked birds, probing away at seed amongst the reeds. Without a field guide, various ideas were put forward, all of which were dashed when an expert with high power optics came in and pronounced them as juvenile Chaffinches. Reluctantly we agreed, with some muttering and chuntering.

Wed 6th...nothing
Thurs 7th...Doc..in agony with a bad back
Fri 8th   ...Doc still with back agony, rash and bright red
Sat 9th.....Visit to NHS walk in centre. My Markeaton led bird walk – delegated to someone more ablebodied
Sunday 10th  Bonus bird walk for beginners, lead by Keith and aided by Amanda. I’m pain-killer drugged up looking at the sunshine.

What an exciting week.

Anyway, it was nice that my 9 year old Grandson Leo dropped in on Saturday, and we had a chat about birds while his Grandma was giving him a necessary bath after playing in his football team. HE knew about the Derby Peregrines having 3 eggs.



This is what he was like at 3 years old, and I just hope I can maintain his enthusiasm.... football and computers do tend to dominate.   I’ve often think if computers, i-pads, mobile phones etc are so important to teenagers (and younger!!), what can we do with bird watching to make it fit the IT image. Leo is doing the 72 English football grounds with his Dad, and we keep details on my laptop. He likes the spreadsheet where the data can be sorted in anything from the highest gate, to the highest score.  Maybe I can do something similar birdwise. Reminiscent of the days when I collected train numbers, but all I did was tick them off in an Ian Allan book. (Step forward those who remember them!)

Right – move on – now for something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment