Sunday 12 January 2020

Relieve the strain with an Eagle!!!


Have you heard of Kingsmill Reservoir? (NG17 4PA) Well you have now!!  It’s a reservoir on the A38 near Mansfield, Notts.
Today, Monday 6th January, I decided to revisit for the first time for a couple of years. The good start was a filled bird feeding station adjacent to the free car park, very active with the usual feeder birds, plenty of Goldfinches, but a few too many rats. The poor start was that the water’s edge café had been closed for a refurb and was not due to reopen until February. Judging by the amount of civil engineering work around the visitor area, that may be ambitious.

The circuit was a good 90 minutes at birders pace!,  (including an adjacent Costa in the NE corner of the site on the Sutton Rd.) 24 species was a reasonable count for this large site and enabled me to add 6 species to my 2020 list.

Many of the birds were understandably tucked in under the trees along the water’s edge, such as Teal, one lonely Grey Heron, and a number of Little Grebes.

All the above are good reasons to give Kingsmill Reservoir a try. I know some people do not like the proximity of busy roads and noisy ambulances, but the birds don’t seem to mind.

Tuesday 7th January, and it was the first visit to Attenborough in 2020. Chris Gill and I duly arrived at 9.30 and found that fellow birders Paul and Marion had turned up, so it was good to have 5 pairs of eyes for our first 2020 visit.

There were more birders around than normal, and the sightings board told us why.   There had been reports of a Slavonian Grebe for several days, initially viewable from the car park. Whilst not visible straight away we could see the Grebe from the peninsular at the back of the centre, near the Sand Martin bank.  As a bonus, and I missed it, a Water rail was calling in the reeds, and seen by some of my colleagues.

So much excitement… we all just had to have a drink, so the next half hour was spent in the café.  And even that produced dividends!

The Slavonian Grebe, decided to go around to the southern side of the visitor centre, and was then readily seen whilst sitting in the café!!  With views like this………………..



Eventually we felt we ought to do some birding, so drawing our eyes way from the Grebe, we went to the tower hide.    There were a several bird groups around, but it was quiet in the tower hide.  Birds like Water rail or Bittern were not seen, but Goosander, Reed Bunting were in my 9 addition for the year.

We tried a quick look at Cotton flash, but the rain increased in intensity, making us return to the centre, including a quick abortive look in the Kingfisher hide.

A couple of itinerant additions to my list later in the week.  Good to see 2 Peregrines on the Jury hotel in Derby on Friday, and on Saturday on the way to Uttoxeter we passed a very eruptive Rookery!

I had something of an altercation with my good lady this week. Although I know  she enjoys her yoga classes I don’t know what they do for 2 hours. It was therefore revealing on Monday when Mary showed me that this was a posing  exercise…..


 …….my obvious question was “Why?”

Mary “ This is a stretching exercise - think of a catchphrase, think of birds…. Say what you see.”

What could I do? What would YOU do?   Then a brainstorm… “Red backed Shrike?”

An unwelcome look indicated that I was on sticky ground, and I didn’t fare much better when I asked whether it related to the half full (half empty?) wine rack.  

In fear that things could only get worse..” Please Darling, just tell me..I promise not to laugh.”

“It’s a Yoga pose… it’s called the Eagle Pose….. I’m surprised you did not recognise it.”
                                  


Well I must admit there is some similarity.  Apparently it is an aide to relieving shoulder strain.  

Anyway this is why I will not be going to Yoga and Mary will not be birding!!

Ed: Agreed

Just before I sign off a memory tugger for some of us…. And history for others!!!

QI.  35 years ago, yesterday (in 1985) you could buy a car for £399. It was the launch of the C5.   NO?....Clive Sinclair’s electric car!!

Happy Birding 

No comments:

Post a Comment