Saturday 20 July 2019

Ornithologist +1; Microtibialist + 3.


Sunday 14th July, and Billy no-mates was heading off for 2 nights in Lincs and Norfolk.


First stop was one of my favourites, Frampton Marsh. Chris, (another one!!, this one a regular RSPB volunteer and one of the RSPB Boston cruise announcers) was on duty and pointed out the Black Necked Grebe in front of  the visitor centre actively feeding a youngster.

As there was nothing else to see from the main hide, I went to the sea wall, and enjoyed the sight of 5 Spoonbills in a row. Masses of Black Tailed Godwits, and a good number of Avocets were all over the reserve.

After lunch I drove on to Hunstanton where I was to bed down for 2 nights for B & B at The Shelbrooke Guest House. I’d stayed at several sleeperies in Hunstanton, but this was a new venue. 

Good start. I had booked a single room, which meant bring a dressing gown ( = not en-suite!!), but I was informed that I had been upgraded to a double room due to a last-minute cancellation. So that was good news…. AND I had got the last place in the front car park… even better!!

In reply to my question, the owner said they did not do black pudding for breakfast!!, but they would get some in for Tuesday!!.  and thye did, and I could see other guests benefiting from MY request!!

Together with a cup of Yorkshire Tea, I was then confined to my room for an hour… well I HAD to watch the cricket final, right to the last memorable ball. Trouble was that leaving the bedroom in frustration with the word “Tie” appearing on the Lords score board, I did not find out who was declared the winner until late on. Still, good news when I got it, even if there was debate raging about whether it was 1 + 4 overthrows, or 2+ 4 overthrows!!

I know not why, but at dawn and dusk, my bedroom window overlooking the roof tops of the town, was a marvelous viewpoint for Swifts. Whizzing passed the window, probably only 4/5 feet away, and with some of them screaming, it was a privilege to be so close, and see them so clearly as I enjoyed my cup of Horniman’s Tea!!!!

I slipped down to the coast before dinner, and watched the last few nesting Fulmars collecting food, and whilst it was the wrong time for Purple Sandpipers, some Turnstones were in evidence.

Monday 15th July and it was just a short drive to Titchwell.  And I nearly flattened my first, and only trip addition on the A149 when a Partridge decided to cross the road in front of me; fortunately (for me) it was close enough to see it was a Grey.

I guess Monday is not a busy day for visitors, so it was quite quiet in the hides at Titchwell. The Island Hide had good panoramic views, and an RSPB volunteer in the hide like me, was in awe at seeing c500 Avocets come in to land. Spectacular.

An abortive walk to the water’s edge added nothing special, although with the sun and heat, I could understand why Butterfly Alley (the walled path to the Parrinder hide) was so named.

With little to tick at the water’s edge, I retraced my steps, stopping at the Island Hide. A good decision. 

First of all, very close in on the mud were 2 very small black headed gull chicks, with a parent close by. Then literally just below the hide window, I could see a slight movement in a ground nest, and as we watched a third chick literally fell forward and out of the nest. As we watched it stumbled through the grass stubble down to the water’s edge. It still had to cross a small water area to finally reach the parent on the small mud bank where it finally dropped to the ground with exhaustion. The doting parent, who had been calling the chick, and flying to and fro to coerce it onwards spread her wings and proceeded to brood the little feller. 

It’s experiences like that, whatever the species, makes witnessing of bird survival is so exhilarating.

As a bonus, in the reeds in front of the hide we spotted a Bearded Tit foraging away.

Next stop was Holme Dunes and the Norfolk Wildlife Trust visitor centre,   Bacon butty and a welcome cup of Typhoo!!

Sadly, nothing special had been reported there, but I did spot a handsome Great White Egret, with the bold yellow beak and the big S shape of the neck. I had decided to visit the hides then the dunes. It turned out that if I had visited the dunes THEN the hides, I would have seen the Osprey that was harassed by the Black Headed gulls. C’est la vie.

I slipped down to the harbour and water at Thornham, where it was nice to keep out of the very strong sun, but nothing to see of a birding nature.

A final comment about Hunstanton, and which serves to embrace my usual QI item about an historic event, this time 50 years ago.. This is a picture of a small temporary tribute on the grass bank on the sea front for the American Moon landing on Sunday the 20th July 1966. On that date I was working for The Automobile Association, and on the following day on a bus from Exeter to Torquay, I recall eaves dropping on a conversation between 2 ladies, about what an incredible achievement that had been on the previous day – which they were reading about in a Monday edition.



Tuesday 16th July?  Cley may have had a little good bird news, but the distance in the wrong direction, on my own, made me decide to have another look at Frampton (the same pattern as I did earlier in the year), as the web had reported Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint.

Called in at a large antique centre south of Kings Lynn to try and add to my Microtibialist collection, but I dipped there too!!    *** see below

On arrival at Frampton I gathered the Little Stint had not been reported, and the Curlew Sandpiper was elusive. So, it was not my best trip with just 173 by the end of the tour.

Such is birding, and with the car recording 77 degrees… guess what ?   Home James!

***  Made up for only adding 1 to my bird collection, by adding these 3 to my Microtibialist collection, at the NEC on Friday.  Another ladies leg-shaped walking stick; a small bone pipe-tamper, and a small leg-shaped needle case.  



He-ho…Win some lose some!!

Happy Birding















No comments:

Post a Comment