Sunday 18 November 2018

Winter cometh, and so do the Redwings!!


When are we going to see some serious rain?   The level at Carsington Water continues to fall, and this week the measurement shows 62.3% full, or put it another way, over a third empty!!

Bit sad for we birders as the shore waters edge is so far away. It will take more than normal rainfall… we need a downpour such that Severn Trent will start pumping up from the Derwent.

The Ranger staff pick up additional work problems when the water level is low. Despite putting up notices to warn the public to stay away from the waters edge, as the mud can become very glutinous and dangerous, there are visitors who know better and try to cross to one of the islands. To my limited knowledge there was one incident in 2018 (maybe more?) when the fire brigade had to rescue someone unable to extricate themselves from the mud.

Non-humans have similar incidents, and this is where the Rangers get involved. Sheep!!! Sheep don’t read the notices, and particularly those with thick coats get stuck very easily. It takes a strong ranger to lay duckboards, or ladders, or tarpaulins or whatever, to get to, and pull a sheep out of the mud. 

Last time I witnessed Phil doing a recovery job, half an hour later he was still hosing himself down at the Ranger base to get rid of all the mud attached to his protective ware.

This water shortage is evident not just at Carsington.    Last week, viewing from the Tower hide at Attenborough Gravel Pits the level was equally low, but it did mean that there was more exposed mud just beyond the reed bed, which was a positive for waders etc.

Tuesday November 13th I visited Bestwood Country Park, a bird site on the North side of Nottingham.  This was a new venue for me, and Gill gave Christine and me a guided tour of the Western part of the Reserve, by the River Leen and Mill Lakes.

The reserve is 4 miles north of Nottingham on the edge of Bestwood village. “In days of Yore”, the park was adjoined to a hunting lodge, and was used by the Gentry and Royalty.

Whilst our species count was not notable, it was a most pleasant walk, although I doubt whether I would be able to find my way round what is a 3,711 acres reserve.  Unfortunately, the refreshment cabin was not open on a Tuesday, so lunch was at The Horse and Groom at Linby.

Sunday 18th November    was my penultimate BwB walk at Markeaton, so it was nice to have 8 
potential converts for the morning walk…… but before I forget, Friday, Mary and I went to a regular location, a quality antique fair at the NEC.

As usual I was looking for legs, and this is a nice one that I decided to buy.  It is made of brass, made in c1880/1890, but it is quite small. Small ones like this were usually used by ladies, who in the 19th century did smoke pipes.




  
A nice addition to my collection which now totals 124 legs… additions are much rarer now, as I only buy legs which differ significantly from those in my current collection.

Back to the walk, I arrived a bit early giving me time for a stroll up and down Yew walk. I’d hoped to find Redwings and/or Fieldfares in the horse field beyond the farm, but maybe it was not cold enough – this is normally when I see them actively foraging.

Anyway, I did spot the Jay twice, no doubt caching away some acorns.

Unfortunately, nothing unusual for the group, so there was a lot of concentrating on some of the common birds at close quarters. In the duck pond Coots and Moorhens were next to each other, real Mallards could be compared with the hybrids, comparing male and female Mute Swans by their black nasal knobs, and male and female Tufted Ducks in couples helped with the id aids. I did have a number of people very knew to birding, so help with basics was well received. 

Coal Tits were much in evidence when we put food on the bird table, and Redwings were foraging above us in the trees.

And probably not unusual, seeing and appreciating the antics of the Nuthatch made it the BOD. (bird of the Day!)

Oh, well, nothing outstanding this week – we will see what happens in the next 7 days.

Next walk?    Carsington BwB – my final Carsington walk – will be Sunday December 2.


Happy Birding

1 comment:

  1. So it's your fault that the heavens have opened in recent weeks!
    An interesting leg to add to your collection, solid brass as well.
    Always good to see a Jay, in the 'field' or in the garden. Although my favourite garden bird is still the Nuthatch, whether in Derbyshire or Devon.

    ReplyDelete