Sunday 22 July 2018

The Search for the Turtle Dove.... Successfully !!"!


Well, I imagine you knew that the photograph last week was of Carsington. I have always reckoned that the best uninterrupted and wide-angle view of the water, is from the upper level of Millfield car park, and last Saturday that was where Mary & I sat, reading the papers, doing the x-word…. and dozing!!   And the kiosk was open for a nice cup of PG tips.    

The tip of Stones Island probably has the best panorama, but no loos or tea kiosk – oh well, you can’t have it all.

On the subject of identifying a photograph, try this one!!!


Sunday 15th July, I led the markeaton BwB by a different route for a change, to maximise the shade and minimise the sun. but it also minimised the birds, with only 15 species. A couple of Buzzards, 2 female mandarins and House Martins and Swifts were the pick of a poor crop, but only what I expected with the sun and the heat.

Sunday 15th July……oh gawd.. St Swithun’s Day

St Swithun’s day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithun’s day if thou be fair
For forty days ‘twill rain nae mar
 

Well right now my lawn and flower beds know what they want, but if St Swithun’s was right, roll on 24th August!!!

Tuesday 17th July  My birding colleague Chris (-tine) still had pains which make gripping bins etc very painful, and with other joint discomfort she made the sensible decision decided to rest up. 

So, I pondered over where I should go. The RSPB latest sightings on the net for Monday resolved the question, with some great sightings reported at Frampton Marsh. With a high-tide at c10.40, and a spring tide to boot, my enthusiasm, only dampened by the traffic which I thought would have dissipated with school holidays, ultimately got my second Frampton journey for 2018, for 10.30.

Surprisingly the car park was not as full as expected, and the number of waders visible from the centre the highest ever I have seen. 100’s of Knot got me off to a good start, crowded in with Dunlin, Ruff, huge numbers of Black Tailed Godwit, plus a Spoonbill. I had seen a Spoonbill at Arne earlier in the year albeit not as visible as I would have liked, but this one was a definite!   And these were just some of the species viewable from the centre, whilst clutching a cup of Capachino.

At 10.30 feedback from birders was not yet in full swing so I had to decide where the best birds may be. A species that took me 4 visits to find in 2017 was Turtle Dove, and as one or more HAD been reported this week I set off for the known area, yet again.   

At first things were discouraging but I was determined to persevere and walked further round Farm Reservoir. And then I heard it….. a Turtle Dove singing! Such a distinctive song, and like Nightingales, where I was standing, there was plenty of song but no sight. I walked a further 100 yards, and heard what I assumed was another bird, unless the first one was following me.

Realising that an upcoming wet area had dried out, I decided to retrace my steps only to hear the Dove again. I continued my walk back, but knowing it was there somewhere, I persisted by turning left, where the path went right, and influenced by strong evidence that for a small area, the brown (!) grass had been well flattened, I set up my scope to look at the hedge/bushes/trees from the other side.

And with a bit of scoping JACKPOT!!!…there it was munching away at seeds, in a spot that I would not have been able to see from the path. Brilliant, Turtle Dove. No 174 and seen after only 2 visits this year. Oh, that was worth all the persevering.

No report to-day of the Phalarope, Stint or Curlew Sand, I decided to call it a day, but at least I could drive home with a merry heart. (Ed: Not your usual turn of phrase??)

The Puzzle.   I would bet that less than one person in a thousand would know what the picture was.

Clues:  It fits my Micro-tibia collection. About 7 1/2 inches long. 162 years old.  Mainly used by women.



It is in fact a Mahogany Knitting Sheath.  (For a fuller description google Mahogany Knitting Sheath, and there is also a video clip showing how it works)

It is a very old-fashioned knitting tool, the knitter jamming the sheath firmly in her belt (in this case the end with the boot!!!)  and then putting a needle in the hole at the opposite end. Effectively she could hold 3 needles, the third one being rigid from her waste.








By all accounts not only did women constantly knit, whether sitting or walking, but the extra “hand” enabled them to knit at a much faster rate than with the traditional 2 needles.

…….AND NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW THAT.  That is one thing about my hobby, one learns so many interesting facts.

 A couple of diary dates;  
                                                      Sunday August 5th 10.00am. usual BwB walk at Carsington
CORRECTION 
      (advance notice...)                  Sunday October 14  The second Carsington BwB away-day.    RSPB Old Moor & Dearne Valley area, South Yorks.  Time TBA. Booking not needed, but let DJB know if you are coming.

Happy Birding.






2 comments:

  1. Amazing sighting of a turtle dove - well done! Glad you had a good birding week. Friday was interesting at Markeaton, with a juvenile green woodpecker, a buzzard on a branch less that two metres away and...a flyover from a red kite, which a friend had seen over Quarndon the previous day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated and brief offering this time. Belated because at the time all hell had broken loose around the house - more later.
    Brief - er, well it's just brief, ok?
    Cracking news about the Turtle Dove, pleased to hear that there is still somewhere in this country where they can be seen.
    On the subject of your mystery picture...I had it down as a women's pipe cleaner. Best not pursue this one perhaps.

    ReplyDelete