Sunday 27 August 2017

Raptors a plenty.... and some alive!

After the birding fiesta in Nice (Joke), it seems appropriate to have a bit of R & R, and recharge the batteries, and ponder the prospects. (All very philosophical!).

I’m pleased that Mary is getting to know a few more birds in the garden.  She recognises what I always think sounds like a bird with a sore throat, a calling Greenfinch. They come to our bird bath infrequently, and Mary gets the dark green feathers plus the bold yellow flash as the birds fly off.  She is also getting to know the Tinkling song of a Goldfinch, and only this week we watched a pair standing side by side drinking from the fresh clean water I had put in the cleaned-out bird bath.

She won’t admit it, but she does know more than she lets on, although I think a 200 target would be a figment of her (and my) imagination!

Not exactly a bucket list experience, but I did try something in Nice that I had not done before, I had an Oyster. Straight down, didn’t touch the sides.. and no ill effects.. but I don’t think I will do it again!!! Here's the evidence.



                      

Right, what other news?  Subject to a last minute change below, I’ve checked on the latest scores for those aspiring to a 200 species award for 2017.

You will know that Amanda really does well with the species she picks up during her weekly volunteering duties at Old Moor. She admits that it is frustrating with her dedication to Old Moor, to be told what was there on the days she was not on duty. But her perseverance is usually rewarded. Amanda is currently on 212, and I could get her trophy now, except that I need the final total for 2017, and a Chough at Anglesey is in her sites!

Chris has also topped the 200, currently on 202, and keeps picking up the odd addition during bird walks with New Horizons, Old Horizons (that’s me!) and other organised walks. Like Amanda, she is happy having topped her previous 200, especially as 2017 includes a few new lifers.

I’m next in line on 197. Highly confident that the RSPB Shearwater Cruise on the Bridlington Belle next Saturday will take me through the 200 barrier.

There may be other contenders on my BWB walks that I’ve not got tabs on, but I do know about Mike McDonald. Mike is a Severn Trent Volunteer in the wildlife centre and comes on some of my walks when we are shorthanded. You may recall I keep bumping into him in the field (Attenborough; Padley etc), but he is quietly ticking new sightings off his list. He is currently on 171, and has a bit of work to do.  He plans to go to Frampton in the next couple of weeks, so that should really help.

Tuesday 22nd August, sadly I did not get out birding. I had a lot to do after our long weekend in France, and I could not find much to mobilise me on the Bird Guides or any other web site, at least within a driving distance of Derby.

Sunday 27th August, David Lindo an expert ornithologist always says it, and I tell BWB birders “Keep looking up”.   4.15 pm having a cuppa tea on the terrace with my esteemed, we both look up to see a Hobby flying due West, straight over the house. EUREKA……………..No 198.

Thought I show you a couple of photos taken at the Carsington Wildlife centre, both sad.  The Sparrowhawk had hit the window too hard, but it was educational for people to see this female bird and its markings up close.


The other is a Pipistrelle found on the floor. OK for the photo but sadly did not survive.


Just a reminder while I think of it.   Sunday September the 3rd will be the next Carsington walk, and Keith and Gary will be leading the walk.  As I am on the Shearwater Cruise and as we do not get back from the Wash until c8.30pm, I’ve decided to stay overnight in a B & B in Bridlington. But I know you will be well looked after. 

I will be back (after 14 days in Majorca) for the walk on Sunday October 1st, and I have prepared my species talk already… and not the one some of you may have expected.

Majorca also means that I am missing the Bird walk at Markeaton on Sunday 17th at 10.30, but you will be in the capable hands of Dawn. (Not sure how the walk went while I was in Nice, but Dawn will update me.)


Happy Birding




2 comments:

  1. My bird interest started when a friend told me we might see a Great Spotted Woodpecker along the banks of the river Eden in Cumbria, 37 years ago, in 1980.
    We didn’t see one but on the cliff we saw a Peregrine Falcon which was wonderful. I started doing more walking in the Lake District and on one walk with a friend, she heard Willow Warblers with their “going down” song. We spent so much time trying to see them that our other walking friends were fed up waiting for us.
    Then we saw a Wheatear. It was so pretty that after that I was hooked!

    C J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see a return to gastronomic exploits, long way to go for oysters though. Oysters are on my bucket list and yes, I could have put that better!.
    Sad photos from Carsington as you said but these things happen from time to time.
    I am also confident that the RSPB Shearwater Cruise will take you through the 200 barrier. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete