Monday 13 March 2017

Are you a Microtibialist?

Yes, I know, my post dated 26th February 2017 finished with a promise(?) that I would let you know the significant recent development on my other pastime that readers may have caught a hint of in the  last 14 months!  I am of course referring to the hobby of Microtibialism, as enjoyed and practiced by a Microtibialist.

However, I did say only IF there was nothing  worthy to report, and I’m pleased to say that the birding situation still flourishes, so I will not be able to “come out” about my above sedentary recreation until at least, ooh the middle of the week.  (Might just get you pondering as to what this is, anyway!)

It’s been a good week, with 9 added to my year list, and this post is late because we did not get back from Anglesey until this afternoon.

But it started well on Tuesday 7th March when I picked Chris up at Phoenix Park, a northern terminus on the Nottingham Tram line, and we drove initially to Broomhead Reservoir, SW of Barnsley. It has a good feeding station, and whilst the site does not seem to get well reported, I had seen Common Crossbills bills there in previous years, and this year we were not disappointed. Started off with a pair of females (green), and then just before we left we spotted the gorgeous rich red of a male, right at the top of a fir tree…… and conveniently alongside was a Redpoll.

From there it was a 20 minute drive to Broomhill Flash, near Old Moor where I hoped for Red Legged Partridge, but not to-day. 

So, with the knowledge that there was a White-fronted Goose at Adwick, a small new RSPB site East of Old Moor, we decided to give it a try before lunch. An Old Moor map is essential, because the Adwick site has no signage, neither on the car park, nor the trail, and with hind-sight we set off around the “site” in the wrong direction. But Chris’s scope enabled us to pick up a wet area and then a large flock of Greylags, and closer inspection duly found the one smaller goose, a first year White Front. Tick.

So that was the good news. The bad news was by the time we got to the Old Moor caff, all the main courses had gone!

PM at Old Moor was bright and light, and Chris ticked off the lovely male Yellowhammer I had seen there on the 21st February. And we both got an unexpected great view of a Red Legged Partridge in front of the Wader scrape hide.      Total 56 ..a Good days birding.

Friday 10th March, Mary and I set off for 3 nights on Anglesey, and I did my usual on-line research as to what could be worth seeing (I know, they all are – sorry), so we dropped in on Friday at West Shore near Llandudno, for a reported Snow Bunting. Sadly, where to look was unavailable, so it was a cup of tea and on to Beaumaris.

Saturday. Ominous! Couldn’t see Snowdon!  Couldn’t see Bangor!!  But at least as we set off for South Stack (Another wrong decision – couldn’t see Ellin’s Tower!), I spotted a nice male Eider on the Menai straits, oh and a Rock Pipit ………………… and they were the sum total for the day, at least of anything new. Drove up to Church Bay from Holyhead, after scoping the inner harbour, but sadly no sign of Black Guillemots or Chough.

Sunday started off somewhat wet and cloudy, and we set off using info on the Birdguides web site, that told me that Black Guillemots, in March, could be seen in the calm waters North of Beaumaris,  between Puffin Island and Penmon bay. And a £3 toll fee later, at £1.50 per bird, I spotted 2 Black Guillemots flying through. 25 Turnstone and 2 Stonechats added to the enjoyment.

So with hearts lifted!!!, Mary suggested we had another look at South Stack. So we did! Got there in time to sample some hot Leek and Sweet Potato soup, and headed for the cliffs. 

Not too surprising, I did spot Kittiwakes, and Razorbills, as well as the other usual suspects on the cliffs (Fulmar and Guillemots). It was now nice enough to do a cliff walk back to the lower car park, and then up past the centre to the Lighthouse steps…and en route???  a Sand Martin a really early one, in fact from my comprehensive records of the last 17 years, only once have I seen one earlier than today (12th March 2017)

So a good week..9 birds added for 2017 and I’m on 143…VERY satisfactory.

PS Next Sunday(19th) 10.30 Markeaton Park if you’ve got 90 minutes (and £4!) to spare!


1 comment:

  1. Sadly, it seems that 'Ambulatophile' has fallen at Cheltenham , although I have to admit that Microtibialist is very good.
    Getting the Crossbills is excellent, that would be a lifer for me.
    Pity you missed out on the Chough though. When we on the cliffs at Church Bay we had a flight of 6 Choughs going past at eye level, followed by 6 Ravens. Not that I'm crowing at all, just a bit Choughed.........

    ReplyDelete