Sunday 26 February 2017

Oh!, that male Yellowhammer.....Fab - u - lus!

Now how the Castlemaine 4X did I make that mistake in my last post? I can think of no reason for typing July as the days I was out birding, apart from to see if Slim Bridge spotted it. (He did!).   

Anyway, you will be pleased to know that I have some new glasses, and being varifocals, there is now every chance that I when I proof read my blog, I will see any errors. (Well that’s my excuse). Take a bit of getting used to, don’t they? I’m constantly having to look down my nose to get the short sight items in focus. Still, I’m sure it will improve. At least now I can read all the Saturday football results on the TV.

Monday 20th February and I decided to spend the morning at Idle Valley, specifically hoping to see White Fronted Goose. Despite cruising up and down Chainbridge Lane and walking the length of Hawthorn Lane, I dipped, and nor did I see the alleged Black Necked Grebe.

However, thanks to a tip from a fellow birder, and some compensation from scanning hundreds of Greylags, I did pick up Whooper Swan on Tiln North. So, that saved a possible lengthy trip to Martinmere.

So Tuesday 21st February, I opted for a visit to one of my favourite sites, Old Moor, just North of Rotherham. It’s a good 55 mile run and door to door in 60 minutes, meant I was walking into a busy Broomhill Flash hide at 10.00am. This first location was hopefully for a Red Legged Partridge, but I dipped again, and I was told by the locals there had been no recent sightings.

But Old Moor was brill!! Within 5 minutes of getting to the Tree Sparrow Farm, there was a gorgeous male Yellowhammer on the feeders, followed by his mate.

When I got to the family hide, Amanda was on duty wearing her RSPB volunteer hat, and saved me the trouble by pointing out the Mediterranean Gull.

In due course I went to Wath Ings hide, the furthest hide along the track, and having counted x number of Snipe in the mud, I spotted a nice group of 3 Linnets enabling me to move my total to date for 2017 to 133. All very encouraging although as happens with birders, there are still easy-to-see 2017 birds, which I haven’t!

Currently I am still looking for, Redpoll, Grey Wagtail, Siskin and Jay, but I’m hoping that I may get the first 3 at High Peak Junction on the Cromford canal next week. The water treatment plant there is good for Wagtails, and I have found the Greys there, and there is always the chance of a Dipper on the Derwent at the same location.  

And I have plans to go to another favourite, Attenborough GP, as Bittern is still on my o/s list, and Muscovy Duck does crop up there as well.

Sunday February 26th I had an hour at Carsington, and arrived at the Wildlife Centre just as a flock of c16 Curlew landed on the far tip of Horseshoe Island. Unfortunately, with the low water level, giving a steep water’s edge, and the camera not working, they became invisible, a shame for visitors who would have been able to get good views from above, but didn’t even know they were there.

I dropped in to Allestree Park lake (not literally) on the way to Carsington, just timing it right to see a pair of Great Crested Grebes move apart, dive, and re-emerge swimming towards each other, and rearing up on their legs in their famous courtship dance. It did not last long, but long enough to know what was happening!

Many people have told me how they wish they could see that display, and I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Keep Birding



PS Unless the next 7 days are eventful, my legs will be the topic next week ??!!

1 comment:

  1. Relieved to hear that Specsavers have worked their magic so that roads and pavements are once again safe for the rest of us.

    Pleased to hear that Old Moor was as good as it usually is, although envious about the Yellowhammer - it's been a while since I've seen one.

    ReplyDelete