Sunday 11 September 2016

From Radio to Radar!!

Sunday 4th September I was particularly pleased to see how much media coverage I got for the 2,000th bird walk booking on this Sunday. We had 5 new people on the walk, and ironically it was one of them that came out at number 2,000.

Monday 5th September. I mentioned that Andy Potter from Radio Derby was coming up to do a news item about the walk, and my plan was to take him in the Kybota round the usual route for the monthly bird walk. However, I had never driven this little vehicle, which looks like this but with an enclosed cab.




………………. So I had to have a driving lesson.  It’s a bit different, with no clutch and when you take your foot off the accelerator, it stops. The latter I suppose like modern cars. but not what I’ve driven. Anyway, I passed Chris’s test, and Andy did not go through the windscreen.

Tuesday 6th September So I was up again, this time at 8.45 to meet Andy and we drove (noisily!) to the outdoor classroom, for a 5-minute chat, followed by a visit to the Wildlife Centre where Andy had a further chat with Severn Trent volunteer Pat Spencer about the birds that the public can see there.

If you want to hear the interview, you can Google BBC Radio Derby, find Andy Potter programme of 6th September, and listen at your leisure. It is only available for 30 days from the transmission, so don’t delay.   To make it a bit easier, and to save you trawling through a 3-hour programme, my slot did not come on until c2.15pm If you move the timer indicator slide to 1hr 17min, you get my interview, music, and Pat’s interview. There is then another piece of music, and the next and final few words by Andy are quite amusing, so stay with it!!

RIGHT, I’m sorry, but I cannot continue to keep a secret that has been on my mind during the last 2 months. I have to confess that I have visited a nature reserve where I saw a male Ruddy Duck, so he (that’s a clue) is in my 2016 count. 

People new to birding will probably not know about the government decreed cull of this species - as I say regularly, ironically a species that was introduced into the UK, at Slimbridge, by Sir Peter Scott. So they will not realise that, thank goodness, the cull was not 100% and a Ruddy CAN be found if you know where to look.

Sunday 11th Apart from seeing 25+ Tree Sparrows at the Carsington wildlife centre this morning, I now have to wait until my trip to Frampton marsh with John and Chris next Tuesday.  So let me tell you about my finding of “Big Birds in Sky” on the computer. Some of you may know the web site 
I’m going to talk about, but I was one that didn’t.

A couple of days ago, Mary and I were imbibing in the garden and took in some of the aircraft vapour trails. As one often does, she said “I wonder where they are going…I wish it was me!!”   That evening, I spent some time trying all sorts of word combinations on Google, and came up with a cracking site which could answer her question.

If you Google in planefinder.net, you will get a website where, if you click on the section “Airport and Flight Routes”, you will be presented with a world map covered in aircraft. If you keep watching the screen, and even zoom in using the + button, you will realise that all the planes are moving. They are moving on their scheduled flight path, and if you click on a plane, and you use the simple screen options, you can everything you could want to know about the flight and the aircraft.

My son flew to Sri Lanka last night at 8.30pm and I texted him, in flight at 9.30BST.

“This is your captain speaking. Welcome on board this Airbus A380-300 aircraft, flight number EY18 for Abu Dhabi. We are flying at a height of 37,000 feet and at a speed of 481knots. Our ETA is 7.20 local time, and we are 238 miles through a total flight of 3,431 miles. We will shortly be passing over Luxembourg. Have a nice day.”

…. Hang on, I’ve just seen some lights going over my house.. it’s just a Ryan Air from Charleroi to Manchester!!

OK,  and there is a web site to track Eddie Stobart Lorries!!

What fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment