Monday 8 August 2016

GB 12 H 44956. R I P.

……… ………………. And whilst on the subject of leg rings (was I?), I did have a real time experience of how the bird ringing system does actually work.

Probably about 5 years ago, I was bird watching round Stones Island at Carsington Water in Derbyshire, when I came across the remains of what turned out to be a racing pigeon. How the pigeon died is unknown, but as is often the case the remaining carcass was surrounded by feathers everywhere (I hope I’m not spoiling your meal!!!), but on the intact legs remained a metal ring.  

Having been indoctrinated into knowing that recovered rings should be reported, I poked the ring until I could read and write down the full number.

That evening I went into the BTO web site to report a sighting (deading?) and as my number did not seem to fit the reporting form, it asked if the ring was solid or not. As people interested in birding will no doubt recall from TV and the media, wild birds have a ring which when fitted to a live bird, is then very precisely squeezed for a permanent but comfortable fit.   But racing pigeons have a solid ring.

So I was then redirected to the Royal Racing Pigeon Association to report the information that I had. Pondering on the name of the organisation made me recall that the Queen races pigeons and thus has a racing loft, presumably hence the Royal title. (any jokes about the Queen races pigeons, and came third) will, if found as a comment on my blog, be deleted.

In the course of entering the ring number, and which would be something like GB R 12345, submitters are asked to check the underside of the wing feathers to see if the owners name or telephone number has been ink stamped. With hindsight, I could have had a busy morning checking all the far flung feathers around the carcass.

A couple of days after reporting my findings, I received an e-mail telling me the name of the owner and that he lived at Yardley Birmingham. Then a week later, a message left on my telephone was from the owner thanking me for reporting his missing bird. Unhappy but a satisfactory conclusion.


And now for something completely different:- (Apologies to Monty Python)

Amanda, a fellow birder and a volunteer at Carsington Water and Old Moor, sent me the following interesting photograph. I received a photograph in which the subject was lost in the greenery, so I’ve cropped and zoomed to make it easier for you to see it.
                                 


You may need to zoom in to see that it is in fact a picture of …………………………..?? Next week for the answer, unless YOU want to post an a comment/answer!

Sunday 7th August, was my regular monthly Bird Watching for Beginners walk at Carsington. I am not yet strong enough to walk for 2 hours, and I’ll be blowed if I am going to use a wheelchair, even if it IS motorised, and free for me. So I welcomed, checked and sent the 11 people (including 3 newbies) off under the care of Keith and Gary, and then meandered down to the Wildlife Centre to await them.  

During the week, Amanda (she always has a story to tell!), had told me the story about a couple she met at Old Moor who were new to birding and had just joined the RSPB. Amanda was on duty in one of the hides, and was able to point out more than one Kingfisher. So much so that the lady was so thrilled she was reduced to tears of joy.

I therefore could not resist, finding Amanda in the Wildlife Centre at Carsington, when she asked me how my health was improving, replied that I was so upset; after she had put her arm around me to comfort me, I had to tell her that I was so sad having just seen a Canada Goose! Her reaction is unprintable, and was only saved by the urgent attention as to why the lapwings had suddenly taken flight….yep, there it was high above.. one marauding Peregrine Falcon.

Keep looking up!!!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment