Monday 7 March 2016

Grebes Galore!!



Monday 29th Feb.  Had 2 hours in Markeaton Park and a bird count for the DOS. Temperature seems to have dropped a bit, which is probably why the Goosanders are still on the lake. Whilst I hope they decide to breed again this year, I’m just keeping an eye on the main island as there seems to be some tidying up work going on, and I’d hate to think a Goosander nested and then got disturbed.

One little Egret was sitting on the small island – seems to be seen quite frequent in recent months, which bodes well.

Thursday 3rd March had an enjoyable visit to my Grandson’s junior school in Ashby for a 40min talk to 28 children about birds. 

We played birding Bingo, without prizes. Each child had to write down the name of an their choice of bird (Robin was not allowed) on a piece of paper face down. Then I powerpointed some birds to try and find what they had chosen. Blackbird, Blue Tit and Goose took out 15, but after talking about Swans, Raptors, Pheasant, Ducks and Chicken (got some boos for that one!), I was still left with 5/6. Peregrine took out 3 (My grandson had spread the word about the Derby Peregrines - tricked them by showing a Hobby), and the top three were Cormorant (Teachers choice), Heron and Hawk.   

I’ll never make a teacher!!

Friday 4th, another trip to Loscoe Dam, without success. Too windy, wet (snowing) and cold for the Skylark, heard the Green Woodpecker. The highlight was a Buzzard sitting in the middle of a field surrounded by a whisper (well hardly a murmuration-) of 200 Starlings.

Saturday 5th What can only be described as “a cracking day Grommitt”.  Having done a bit of pre-planning I drove to Rutland Water. Kept pace with a Red Kite near Melton Mowbray, then pulled into the Fisherman car park on the Hambleton peninsula for a view of the North Arm. Red Necked Grebe was fairly close, but the 3 Black Necked Grebes just too far away.

As it was difficult to hold the tripod steady in the wind, I moved on to the main centre at Egleton, and started with the Shoveller hide. A lone birder (where were the birders??) showed me which reed tuft the Long Billed Dowitcher was hiding behind, and in due course it emerged giving excellent views of why it was “long Billed”. 
Fortunately, unlike the other birds, it was not spooked by the Sparrowhawk that did a virtual supersonic fly through.

Moved on to one of my favourite hides, the Sandpiper which overlooks Lagoon 4, and having opened the coffee and sannies, quickly picked up a lovely White Nun with a couple of Redheads, on the far side of the water. Sorry.. birders know what I mean, but just look at a Smew in a bird guide and you can readily understand why it has the affectionate name, White Nun.  So with Goosander and Merganser, I have seen all 3 sawbills this year. Oh and the Peregrine was sitting on Island 4 whilst I dined!

I decdided to have a final look for the Black Necked Grebes, and went looking for a Fishermans Hut overlooking the North Arm said to be a good view point. At the Eastern end of a private road spurring off just after the Egleton turn on the A606, I found a small brick building in the course of construction, and if I still was not sure, 6 people with tripods confirmed this was the spot.

And it was...  3 Black Necked Grebes, and 1 Slavonian Grebe. Superb.

And to cap it all, heading back, not far after Oakham, a Grey Partridge ran across the road in front of me.   

Nice little addition of 4 to take my list to 132. Will this continue?

2 comments:

  1. Why did the partridge cross the road? No, really, why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it saw some Red Legs!!

      Delete